Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasHillsdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys, this is my first forum post so I hope it goes through.

I was an owner of a white macbook for just over a year until the motherboard decided to give up the ghost... So I eventually bought myself a new 13" Macbook Pro...

Everything was going just beautifully, until I realised when I was charging it, I had this weird electrical current going through all the aluminum.

First of all the first two things that came to mind was... What's the computer and most importantly MY health going to be like if its exposed to all this!

Anyway. I read a few threads, and they were talking about the "Grounding" problem. Luckily I got my old macbook charger out and plugged it in.. The problem went! So I was then thinking on where in the charger lied the problem?

So I took the cable part from the Megasafe to the socket from my macbook, and then put it into my macbook pro Megasafe... and everything worked brilliantly!

I'm no genius, however if you guys feel that tingly electrical/static current going through you're MBP, go and buy yourself a new cable...

However as Apple is so popular, I'm sure if you try one of you're friends (As they will undoubtably have one) and see if it is that the problem...

In anycase, I'm very happy with my Macbook Pro :) Apple make some awesome products. Bill Gates should just pack up and go fishing if you ask me. He can never compete with Me old mate Steve!

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Hahaha!
I just created this post here right now!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/929291/

And I made a good search on inet, and seems to be a normal issue since the very first macbook pros.
So it's a common thing and recognized by Apple.

As I readed, seems that the solution it's to use the long cord atached to the block, and not the connectors.

So, I still have to try to see if it works, but everyone is saying it is.
The only thing that concerned me on this issue, is the notebook "health".

So don't use those:

Apple-MacBook-Magsafe-85W-AC-Adapter-1.jpg

but this guy:

41gd%2BY3JRnL._SL500_.jpg

Let's see. :)

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I measured 50 volts between my MBP and ground using the 2-prong adapter. I only use the 3-prong grounded cable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.