How To Fix My Screen Flickering?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Apr 7, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

My white Macbook, the one i'm currently typing on; the screen keeps flickering.

I've uploaded a video taken from my cell phone of the screen flickering. I love my white macbook but the screen keeps flickering until I keep adjusting the angle of the screen. Some days the screen flickering is minimal and I'll adjust the screen easily with minimal screen flickering. Other days i'll be adjusting for a few minutes until I can get it at an angle where the screen doesn't flicker.

Here is the link of the screen flickering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA99axtIPQY

I've noticed there is less/to no flickering at all the closer I adjust the screen downward, i.e., the closer it is towards the macbook itself being closed.

As for the Macbook itself, it was purchased in December 2006 and have had AppleCare since. In June of 2007 I took it in to Apple since I noticed the screen flickering very minimally only when the screensaver came on. I was then told a small soda spill was on the logic board and AppleCare would not cover it, though I was still covered regarding all cosmetic repairs, aside from that soda spill. It hasn't been till the past 2 months the screen flickers heavily and I'm just sitting at my desk adjusting the screen until there is no flickering so I can get my work started. I was considering selling my Macbook for anyone that wouldn't mind the screen flickering but i've upgraded this Macbook with a 500 GB hard drive and before attempting to sell it i'd rather fix the problem myself.

Everyone, I'm all ears. I'd love to fix this problem. If it means completely voiding my AppleCare warranty and opening up my Macbook, so be it. the warranty expires in 6 months anyway.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sounds like a classic kinked/bent cable.

I'd take it back to Apple; tell 'em to open it up and look for a kinked video cable in (or around) the hinge. If that's the issue, it cannot be blamed on the soda spill and a repair would be justified under AppleCare.

Good luck. :)

3. codyPT macrumors newbie

genius

I purchased my Macbook in August 2006 and recently my screen has been flickering and going black occasionally. I took it to a Genius and the first time they replaced some kind of converter. That didnt fix the problem so i took it back. That time they replaced the converted again plus the whole display. And again the problem remained. I took it back again and they said they will replace it a new computer. I must mention that I had the logic board replaced 3 times and had other issues so this also could have contributed to his decision.
    My advice: use your applecare

4. o2xygen macrumors regular

When I had to get my macbook fixed, something completely irrelevant, I was told that there had been a water spill and my applecare was now voided for good. So I think applecare is out of the question.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

UPDATE:

I just got back my Macbook from Applecare, with everything fixed!

they replaced the inverter board and a new lcd screen! which i think looks more vibrant than before. It def. looks better.

Thanks everyone!

6. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

HappyDude20 - curious if the 'fix' is still good, no issues since Apple repaired your MacBook?

Am wondering since my November 2006 MacBook is flickering on occasion - at times it will be quite terrible for a day or so, but I won't make any changes at all [to the screen position, programs, etc.] yet during reawakening next day or so there will be no flickering... and then again a day or so later, here be flickering again. Main programs are Firefox, Safari, and Word/Excel - nothing really intensive. Took the laptop to the local Apple-approved store a few months back, and of course it didn't flicker for them... :rolleyes: Yet since then its done it multiple times, as described above.

Guess other question is if Apple only approves a fix if the flickering is actually seen by a tech or qualified person?

If so, would a video shot of the screen suffice as evidence?

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Well, I took a video of the screen flickering, though they never bothered to look for it. They just took my word for it.

The computer works great, though when the screen dims before going to screensaver or going to sleep it will flicker. Badly, but not a big deal. It's been like that for ages.

8. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

9. codyPT macrumors newbie

Keep having an eye on it and dont ignore the issue as long as you have the AppleCare. I think after 3 repairs (that didnt work) they would replace your computer.