How to fix rMBP performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Oct 5, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Scrolling is just not smooth enough, Late 2013 rMBP 13" model with 8GB RAM.

2. PancakeEater101 macrumors newbie

PancakeEater101

In what application? And on what kind of site/document? Was it ever fast enough?

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Anything, from scrolling in the Applications folder in the dock to Safari. Even Pages exhibits scrolling lag, always been there and I used my cousins 2012 rMBP,same issue. (13" model as well")

4. leman macrumors 604

5. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm using Yosemite. PB4.

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Oh, well there you go! Using a beta OS won't be as smooth as using a final release or even better, a 10.x.x update like Mavericks 10.9.5.

7. leman macrumors 604

Well, that is the weird thing. Yosemite is what 'fixed' the UI performance for me over Mavericks. Its strange that people are having so different experiences here. From responses here and other communities, it seems like half of people experience a performance boost and half experience degradation. I a very curious what is the deciding factor behind these differences.

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That couldn't be a factor, Mavericks was just as bad and I did make a thread about this issue before.

9. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Well, all I know is that I am seeing major performance issues on my 2012 cMBP with yosemite, and I am having choppy animations but not necessarily choppy scrolling. I can see how a MBP with twice as many pixels would suffer even worse performance, including choppy scrolling.

10. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I didn't clean install, too lazy and have too much stuff. I have exams soon and I would rather not waste time reinstalling OSX, I could have done it today as I was free however I needed to do other things.

----------

The lag, I would argue would be due to the HDD. The scrolling issues are there, just not too bad.

FYI: I also have a cMBP and that lagged even more, with a clean wipe!

11. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I'm talking about animations...I can do everything as quickly as I could on mavericks, but opening mission control, launchpad, notification center, switching windows, switching desktops, and moving the dock from screen to screen has frame drops and delays. It was far worse in DP1, but apple still obviously needs to work on GPU performance.

12. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Not just scrolling. But in general, I find the rMBP to perform better than the cMBP