How to fix Rosetta Stone error 1117

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by holdmusic, Oct 12, 2010.

1. holdmusic macrumors newbie

When I open RS, it says "error 1117, and error has occurred in the speech component" and then says something about restarting the program.

Error 1117 apparently means that the program won't communicate with my computer, even though I don't operate a personal firewall. It can't detect the USB headset, so the headset cannot be used.

I've looked all over the place for the answer, but there's only a solution for PC users. What can I do about this?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

I had a slightly different problem, but I wonder if the problems have anything in common. Open Activity Monitor (in Utilities), select All Processes from the menu box at the top of the panel, and type Rosetta into the adjacent filter/search box. Do you have a process named RosettaStoneDaemon running? If so, what is listed for it in the "user" column?

3. DesertWild macrumors newbie

I know you said you don't operate a firewall, but are you using a port monitoring program like 'Little Snitch'? If you are, you will probably need to add a rule allowing the Rosetta Stone app to access Hostname 'localhost' (as long as it includes 127.0.0.1) or just to the IP address 127.0.0.1 directly.

Otherwise browse this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-networking-wireless-technology/218409-hosts-entry-not-working-macbook-pro.html#post1130815

and make sure these entries are present in your 'hosts' file (using the 'sudo nano /private/etc/hosts' command from the first post) and clear the cache with
    'dscacheutil -flushcache':

127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

If all is well there, try setting up 'dscl' (as shown in the third post) to be configured with the entries above in red.

There was another post I found that was better/clearer for the 'hosts' stuff, but thanks to Googlies' ever shifting sands I can't find it now. If I do I'll post it.

Hope this helps (and is not too confusing).