How to fix the Guest account ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rjalex, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rjalex macrumors newbie

rjalex

Dear friends,
    longtime unix and win user, recently switched at home to Mac 10.6.6 and VERY happy about it.

I have moved applications in the Applications folder from the flat structure they originally had to a hierarchical one (I like my applications to live in "communication", "multimedia", "system" and "games/applications" subfolders.

Aside from having to fix little snitch rules my usual user works as a charm.

When I switched to the Guest account (I use that for people coming to my place as guests) I found almost (finder, dashboard and application folders are ok) all of the Dock applications replaced by question marks. I think this is probably because of the applications paths having changed but how can I fix this being into the Guest account ?

Another behaviour I cannot quite explain is that in this "corrupted" environment I tried navigating to the Application folder and dragged Safari on the Dock but when I launch it it does not seem to be connecting at all.

I tried creating a new user and saw the new Dock being created with the question marks, so I am guessing there is a "template" pointing to the original location of the applications.

Thank you for any help
    Bob

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

OSX is based on BSD Unix. So with applications keep them in the main applications window. When you make a new folder for application make those folder in the Main Applications folder.

3. rjalex thread starter macrumors newbie

rjalex

Thank you satcomer but I do not think I understand you.

I have created 4 subfolders in the /Application folder and all seems to work well BUT probably the Guest user Dock is built from a template which points to the original paths.

I have created a template for new users which is exactly what I need and now when I create one I get the Dock I want but for some reason the Guest user keeps on having the same "default" dock which is now full of question marks.

Any help ?

Thanks