Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

islander108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
This has happened to me multiple times on different apps. It's apps that regularly log you out (like a banking app etc.) where when you open them back up, the first thing they do is start FaceID and then automatically log you in from that.

What happens is, eventually something happens to make the FaceID no longer work to provide their password. Instead, it will just prepopulate the log in name with no password, and you'll have to click on the password field, and then click on the passwords prompt, and THEN do FaceID, and then choose the password from the list and then click to log in. Obviously, this is a lot more cumbersome and not ideal.

It only randomly happens to one app at a time, while it will still work fine with everything else and all other apps. I can go to settings and go the app and turn off FaceID and turn it back on but that does nothing. I can go to the FaceID settings and turn on and off the setting for the app and that does nothing. In the app there is nowhere to click to start or accept FaceID again, even if you log out or close the app and reopen it. So you're just stuck with not being able to use FaceID to quickly log in on that app and it never fixes itself.

There is one workaround I've found, but it's not the ideal one. I can completely delete the app, then completely re-download it, then manually go through signing in and setting it all up again and then it will ask me to use FaceID for the new app and work again. So, yes, I can get it to work again but I feel there must be some way to fix this without having to do that.

Again, this is on multiple different apps and just happens randomly on an app, so I don't feel like it's any one app's fault but something with FaceID or something. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I have an iPhone X and the latest software updates (but this has been happening for over a year or two now so over multiple update numbers).

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
You should probably check your settings for this. If it doesn't works after this too then please contact Apple support Centre for this.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I think it's an app bug? I noticed this too. I usually force close the app (sometimes a few times) and the 'log in with faceid' prompt is back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.