How To Fix: XP Service Pack 3 Update - osloader.ntd error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KrazeMusic, Nov 18, 2009.

1. KrazeMusic macrumors newbie

KrazeMusic

I was just updating my Windows XP Service Pack 2, to SP 3 (using Boot Camp on Snow Leopard) and I en-counted a problem. Whenever I was half way through updating, a warning message would pop up saying 'An error occurred while copying osloader.ntd. Cannot copy file to destination directory', and the update would fail. After some searching online, many other people are having the same problem so thought I'd post the easy self-fix solution on www.apple.com which I found which guide's you step by step on how to fix the problem and download the update correctly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3841

Hope this helps anyone that was as stuck as I was.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Another example of Windows just not being designed to play nice with others. You'd think it would prompt you to choose a location if it can't write to its preferred location.

B

3. appsbygreg macrumors newbie

Thank U Mac Brother

It certainly did, I was frustrated tried everything, resorted to google and it brought you up. Thank you.:D

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

This is apple's fault for not working with microsoft when windows XP was being developed. No other computers except Apples have this problem, and no other computer requires bootcamp to be installed.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:rolleyes:

Why in the world would Apple have worked with Microsoft in 2000-2001?

This is clearly Microsoft's fault for not checking that the drive they are trying to write to is read only before writing to it. Same thing should happen if the first partition is read-only ext2/ext3.

B

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Or Apple's fault for making the partition read only. :p Are we seriously in the floppy disk age where Apple puts a read only switch on the disk?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You clearly have never run another OS but Windows on your PC.

There are many benefits to having multiple partitions on your disc and limiting access to some data by making it read-only is a great way of protecting your system from data corruption. If Windows developers understood and respected that back when they were developing Win2K and XP things could have been so much easier...

The following Wikipedia article is a good read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#Benefits_of_multiple_partitions

B

8. 31rhcp macrumors member

Wow, I was having this issue and then googled "osloader" and this was the first thing that popped up. Way to go Mac users! You can solve my PC problems better than PC users can! And this is why I use a Mac.

9. Macfan64 macrumors newbie

Thank you

I needed a program for school that required sp3 and your tutorial was very helpful. Thank you for the time you spent to post this it was much appreciated.

10. AirCav macrumors newbie

osloader.ntd

Great fix and excellent solution - thanks a lot!

11. tnb2 macrumors newbie

Another solution

I found this solution on another page that's easier and doesn't touch OSX's features at all, but does require editing the registry:

1. Click Start – Run – Type “regedit” and press enter.

2. Navigate to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

3. In the right pane, look for a "BootDir" value. If it does not exist, Right-click and select New – String value, and name it “BootDir”

4. Set its value to “C:\”

This also resolves this error for previous BootCamp versions:

There is not enough disk space on C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ to install Service Pack 3 Setup requires an additional 4 megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive the files for uninstallation,Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again.