How to fixate the dock on a specific screen?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Snah, May 5, 2011.

1. Snah, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

Snah macrumors newbie

I'm using a MacPro running Snow Leopard.
    I recently purchase a 9" USB monitor to place underneath my regular screen so that I can keep Mail and iChat open all the time.
    After arranging the screens properly in System Preferences, MacOS wants to put the Dock into the lower monitor.
    Is there a way that I can set/fixate the dock to be in a specific monitor (obviously not the small 9" monitor)?

Yes, I realize that changing the screen arrangement so that the screens are next to each other will prevent this. The point is that I'd like to maintain a logical flow (ie. pull mouse down to go into the mini monitor).

I did see a lot of options using com.apple.doc ... but none of them seems to be able to do this trick.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you set the dock to the bottom, then it will always be on the monitor set to the lowest in the arrangement. The only way around this is to put the dock on the left or right side. To my knowledge, there's no way around this.

3. steveybaby macrumors newbie

In the screen where you arrange the monitors location, you can drag and drop the toolbar to change the "primary" monitor. This will move the top menu and dock to whichever screen you want.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No it won't. The primary screen determines only the menubar location, not the dock. I currently have a vertical monito setup (external monitor and MacBook screen, not enough room on my desk for side-by-side) and my external (top) monitor is my primary monitor but the Dock is still on the MacBook monitor because I've arranged them vertically in the pref pane.

In a horizontal setup, what you say is true, but not for a vertical setup where the Dock is set to the bottom.