Resolved How to fomat an USB Stick as FAT

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by camelia, Aug 6, 2015.

1. camelia macrumors member

camelia

Hello,

I have the following instructions:
    Insert a USB memory device, in to your PC’s USB port. (The USB memory device MUST be formatted as “FAT”)

Of course the instructions are for Pc user, but I only own a MBP

I know there is a difference between FAT vs FAT32, but I don't know how to format a USB stick as FAT and Which Format option do I have to choose?

Thanks
    Came

001LE700.jpg

2. cynics macrumors G3

Use FAT32, if they were being specific they would say FAT16 or FAT12 (lol). FAT32 was mainstream 20 years ago, I seriously doubt your Sharp TV requires a 30-35 year old file system (FAT12/16).

3. camelia thread starter macrumors member

camelia

Hi cynics,

...Use FAT32,... do you mean this one?

Thanks
    Camelia

002fat_format.jpg

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... that is FAT32.

5. camelia thread starter macrumors member

camelia

Thank you cynics, I didn't know nothing about FAT12/16 :D

Thank you Weaselboy, for you helping me confirm the format option I need for FAT32 :)

I received an email from Sharp TV support, they wrote:

"The downloading and unzipping of the update needs to be done on a windows PC as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process."

Does it have sense? Do I need to buy a Pc only to format an USB stick, because as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process? o_O

Thank you
    Camelia :apple:

PS: I am very sorry to make a drama about a simple question but now I am really lost :oops:

6. Weaselboy, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OS X does copy some hidden files to an external and that could cause a problem I suppose. You can read a bit about it here. You should be able to format to FAT32 then unzip the files to the drive, then afterward remove those hidden OS X files. In the article I linked there are some Terminal commands to get that done. There are also apps like Tinker Tool or Blue Harvest that will do it for you.

Edit: It might be worth just trying it without removing those hidden files. I have used FAT32 USB keys made/copied on my Mac to do firmware updates on my car and a couple home theater devices without any problems. So I know it does not always cause an issue.

7. camelia thread starter macrumors member

camelia

Thank you very much
    Came