Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnd2030

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Have you tried to copy over the mp4 file to a PS3 and keep the metadata intact - (dvd cover, director, year, etc). I have been unsuccessful so far.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
What's been your experience with wireless streaming? It's been completely worthless for me thus far, making the PS3 as a streaming front end a non-starter. The ATV works perfectly with the same files, same network, same physical location, etc. It's the PS3 wireless networking that's been a bust for me.

The built in wireless on the PS3 does not handle streaming well. I now use an airport extreme base station and have the PS3 in the living room connected via ethernet to an airport express (802.11n) in wireless bridge mode. The airport express connects to the extreme and serves up a connection via the ethernet port. This set up works great and I'm able to stream EyeTV HD over-the-air recordings using PS3 Media Server. The airport extreme, mac mini, and EyeTV all live in the basement, out of sight.

MrSandman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I'm trying to backup one of my blurays and keep getting an annoying error. What i've done so far is ripped the disc using Makemkv and ended up with an mkv file of about 20GB.

Then i took the .mkv and processed it in Handbrake and compressed the file down to about a 4.2GB mkv file.

Then i took that resulting mkv file and attempted to process it through tsmuxer to convert into an m2ts file and keep getting an error at about 14% that says "Assertion failed: ((int64_t)(curM2TSPCR+0.5) == pcrVal * 300), function processM2TSPCR, file ../vodTransport/src/tsMuxer.cpp, line 446."

Anyone have any idea what happened?

My ultimate goal here is to be able to stream the file to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server. The reason i am using m2ts is because it streams seamlessly. When i've streamed mkv or mp4 it is jittery. Probably too much bandwith. Any ideas what could be causing my problem?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Okay, maybe some of you folks can help me out. I didn't have a network connection in my living room where the TV and PS3 are so I picked up a WD Livewire to give myself a wired connection.

Previously I've used both MediaLink and PS3 Mediaserver over wireless and never had any problems, but due to bandwidth constraints I obviously had stuttering if I tried to stream anything of HD quality.

So, by connecting the WD Livewire I've got a wired connection and the line tests show network speeds ranging from 80 to 100 Mbps per second. It's my understanding that this should be plenty of bandwidth to stream HD quality without any stuttering or difficulty. But, I'm getting stuttering and often MediaLink just seems to be having connection problems.

So, I'm kind of at a loss as to whether it's still a bandwidth issue or is it some kind of software issue, or worse yet a "user" issue. :eek: I might add that I have At&t Uverse service and am using the network router they provide. It's my understanding this router does not support UPnP, but my media servers connect to the PS3 just fine through it. I do have an old airport extreme I could put between the Uverse router and the PS3, but I don't know if that would help or if Apple even supports UPnP.

I know the media itself also has a lot to do with the success of this process. Most of my movies are originally 720p .mkv files with a variety of audio formats. I use Handbrake to convert them to .mp4 using H.264 with an average bitrate of 1500 kbps. I mixdown the audio to AAC stereo at 160 kbps from whatever DTS format is in the original. (sorry, I don't have a DTS compatible stereo system)

Using this method I have been consistently converting my movies and they play flawlessly on the PS3 when copied to a SD card and put in the machine. My goal was to be able to skip this step and move into streaming, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I just need to return the WD Livewire for a more powerful connection (gigabit) or if my problem lies elsewhere.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

hey mscriv. i have been pondering over your issue for about 5hrs now! its very very odd.

to test this, would you be able to plug the PS3 in via the same wired connection that the WD is on - and stream the same clip that you were testing with the WD?

if the converted movies are on 1500kbps then that is literally nothing bitrate wise, i know that DTS does cause some problems but i think that would not cause these problems especially given that you arent using it and are using AAC at such a low bitrate!

will these movies play directly plugged in via USB on the WD?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hey guys, thanks for chiming in.

to test this, would you be able to plug the PS3 in via the same wired connection that the WD is on - and stream the same clip that you were testing with the WD?

if the converted movies are on 1500kbps then that is literally nothing bitrate wise, i know that DTS does cause some problems but i think that would not cause these problems especially given that you arent using it and are using AAC at such a low bitrate!

will these movies play directly plugged in via USB on the WD?

I should have better explained in my original post about the WD Livewire. It is not a media player, but a simple powerline (turn your home electrical into a network) device. By using this I can bring a network connection to my living room and any devices I have there. That being said, I think the test you mention is something I need to do. I should take my PS3 out of the media cabinet and plug it directly into my router in the office and see if I get the same stuttering problems. This would help me better isolate whether it is the powerline connection or another problem.

For reference, all of my content, regardless of format, will play flawlessly when copied to an SD card and put directly into the PS3. I have the 60GB PS3 version with the built in media card reader.

What are you running MediaLink on? Is that machine wired or wireless?

My main computer is a 2.8 Ghz 24" Silver iMac with 4GB of memory. It is connected to the Uverse router with a wired connection.

Update:
I've purchased another powerline system, a Netgear XAVB5001. This one is faster than the WD Livewire with a max speed of 500 Mbps as opposed to the Livewire's 200 Mbps.

The Netgear appears to be giving me better throughput and when I first tested it I was able to play HD content using PS3 Media Server without a problem. MediaLink is still having difficulties and gives me errors saying that there are network connection problems.

Regardless of what software I use there are problems with .MP4 content. In PS3 Media Server I have to use the transcode folder in order to play these files where as .AVI will play fine in the regular menu. MediaLink won't play .MP4 files at all saying there is an error.

My wife was using PS3 Media Server to stream "Cars" for our son yesterday and I started to see stuttering again. It's a .MP4 file and she was using PS3 Media Server.

So, despite the progress we seem to have made, there are still errors and some stuttering problems. I hope working together we can come up with some other ideas. :confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
So, despite the progress we seem to have made, there are still errors and some stuttering problems. I hope working together we can come up with some other ideas. :confused:

I guess ruling out the ISP provided switch might be a worthwhile exercise. Apple Airport Extreme FTW.

Otherwise, I recently found Playback offers very similar capabilities to MediaLink, and I was going to try it out to see if it will stream to my Samsung BluRay...http://yazsoft.com/products/playback/ - maybe it's worth trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.