how to force MacOS Photos to sync with iCloud?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Mar 15, 2018.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

My iCloud Photo Library has worked flawlessly forever. Currently, my MacOS Photos (High Sierra) won't download pics I took today that are already on my phone and have been uploaded to iCloud already (confirmed by logging in to iCloud.com). In Photos on MacOS it says "Last Updated at 12:51pm" which was over 9 hours ago. I'm currently on WiFi and plugged in to power. Any ideas? I've tried rebooting and force quit the Photos Agent from Activity Monitor with no success.

2. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

first place I would check is the systems preferences < iCloud - and next Photos preferences and make sure all the setting are set properly?

maybe a setting got changed?

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately no, all settings are correct and haven't changed.

4. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Sorry I don't have much to add - except that if it comes to signing out of iCloud and back in be very careful.

Lots of stories here about lost photos and after signing out and back in.

Might be good to back up your photos on a hard drive before you "Sign out and back into iCloud" - if it comes to that.

5. asterizk macrumors member

asterizk

btownguy, did you ever make it anywhere with this one? I'm running into the same thing, photos from my phone are uploading to icloud.com Photos just fine, just won't sync down to my iMac. It's been 12 days now. Did try léonie's suggestion on this page (deleting container cache data), looked like it might help but then ended up doing nothing in the end. It's almost as though I lost the preference for my system library, and the photos are being synced into another Photos library (but I checked, and it is the right one).

One thing of potential note is, the library is pretty big at this point (138k photos). But, the phone and icloud.com don't seem to have any issue with that.