How to Force Quit ( when pressing red button )

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark28, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #1
    I'd like to force quit just like in Windows when I press the Red Button. It's stupid that OS X minimizes it. ( programs consume alot of CPU power if you do this, I watched activity monitor and some programs use 10-20% in this state )

    How do I setup OS X to force quit an application when I press the Red Button? :)
     
  2. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #2
    If you are just wanting to actually quit an application, then press command + q that will fully quit a program. If the program is locked up and you want to force quit it then press, command + option + esc, then select the application that is having problems in the menu and click force quit.
     
  3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #3
    I don't like the dock/menu/shortcuts method when I want to fully quit an application. I just want OS X to fully quit an application when I press the Red Button.

    Is there a way to make it behave like Windows? ( fully quitting when pressing the Red Button )
     
  4. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #4
    nope, that's how macs have always worked, the program keeps running, most people who are used to Macs prefer ot that way. If you want it to run like Windows you have to run Windows.
     
  5. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #5
    That's a shame, because it takes up CPU power if applications are not fully quit. ( mainly Logic Pro )

    Would be nice if someone had modified the GUI of OS X to behave like Windows. Guess I'll just have to live with it.
     
  6. John T macrumors 68020

    John T

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    Location:
    UK.
    #6
    That's the reason why most of us originally deserted Windows!! ;)

    Personally, I always leave Apps like Mail and Safari running in the background - they only take up about 1-2% CPU activity. I don't really follow your paranoia regarding CPU usage, even if an Application is taking 20%, surely that leaves 80% for other items?

    As Mrkramer suggested, if you must quit an Application, just press cmd+Q. That is only one press, even though it's not red. :) If you don't want to touch the keyboard, right click on the Application name on the top toolbar and scroll down to "Quit application"
     
  7. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #7
    Here's a very fast way to easily see what programs are running and then to close them:

    http://technologme.com/how-to-quit-apple-os-x-programs-easily/3025/
     
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

    rdowns

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    #8

    For serious?
     

    Attached Files:

  9. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #9
    What about Logic Pro > Quit or Command + Q? Or if you have a multi-touch capable trackpad you could create a gesture for Command + Q via BTT.

    Otherwise you will have to change the OS to accomplish what you want to do.
     
  10. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

    Bernard SG

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    #10
    Command-Q and your applications will instant-fully quit (except if they need to write something on your HD).
    It's not like windows where some applications keep on running despite you exited.

    And what's the "Red Button"? I've used Windows for ages and never heard about it :confused:.
     
  11. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #11
    The OP was referring to Mac OS X: [​IMG]
     
  12. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

    Bernard SG

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    #12
    Ahhhh!
    LOL!
    In Mac OS, most of the time, the application is not its windows, so you need to get used to that indeed. There are a few exceptions though (iPhoto, Coconut battery, preferences...)
    Anyhow, an app without any window open is gonna use minimal CPU... most of the time (example of exceptions: Itunes streaming music via WiFI, Safari with a download in process...)
    There's no worry about it. Just get used to command-Q. "It just works". Unlike some Microsoft applications running on Windows that WON'T fully quit without a process termination via task-manager. How annoying.
     

Share This Page