How to force Watch to Backup?

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
In iOS, I can force the phone to backup to iCloud. How do I force watch to backup? Thanks.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Unpair from your phone. It will backup to the phone.

If you have iCloud sync on for health, your activity achievements and health data are already synced without a backup.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68010
Jan 27, 2011
I had issues with this. I wanted to unpair my new s4 watch from my XS phone, then pair it with my X (since I was gonna return the XS). The only info I could find said that watch backups are done automatically when unpairing, and when backing up a phone. Since my phone was already backed up that afternoon, I proceeded to unpair my watch from the XS (certainly both backup methods were covered in this case, right?). Then I paired it do the X, and tried to restore from backup... but there was nothing to be found. The only backup available was a s0 backup from November 2017. Wtf?

I tried multiple times and could never get it to work. Makes no sense since it was the exact same watch, just moving to a different phone. Very annoying. I wish it would just let you see it like any other device.

However, whenever I’d get a new phone, and restore from backups, I’ve always been able to restore my watch as well. I guess the backups are linked to the phone backups, rather than individually? I’m not really sure, but it was very frustrating.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I had issues with this. I wanted to unpair my new s4 watch from my XS phone, then pair it with my X (since I was gonna return the XS). The only info I could find said that watch backups are done automatically when unpairing, and when backing up a phone. Since my phone was already backed up that afternoon, I proceeded to unpair my watch from the XS (certainly both backup methods were covered in this case, right?). Then I paired it do the X, and tried to restore from backup... but there was nothing to be found. The only backup available was a s0 backup from November 2017. Wtf?

I tried multiple times and could never get it to work. Makes no sense since it was the exact same watch, just moving to a different phone. Very annoying. I wish it would just let you see it like any other device.

However, whenever I’d get a new phone, and restore from backups, I’ve always been able to restore my watch as well. I guess the backups are linked to the phone backups, rather than individually? I’m not really sure, but it was very frustrating.
The watch backs up to the phone.

The backup was on your X because you unpaired after you set up the XS.

iCloud sync would transfer your health data and achievements between watches without a backup, so it’s just a matter of setting up watchfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.