How to format a drive for multiple time machine backups and movies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Weerez935, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I recently upgraded the SSDs in my air and my wife's macbook. So now we have an extra 320 gb hard drive laying around and I was thinking about using it for movies and time machine backups. Currently this drive is a clone of her original drive.

If I want to do this should I make 3 partitions? one for both time machine backups and one for dvds?

Or should I just delete everything on the drive and start ripping dvd's?
    I have my OSX on my old 64 gb drive that was in my air.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

1 Partition will do, both Machines will get backed up with TM without problems, for Videos you could for instance make a Folder called Videos at the root level, you could even leave the copy of her old System on it, it would still backup as long as there is space.

3. Weerez935 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool

Thanks !

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Instead of "multiple Time Machine backups", what you should consider is at least one partition for a "bootable cloned backup" which can be created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

There's nothing as handy as having a bootable backup "close-at-hand" when you have a "moment of extreme need"....

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Although I prefer to have a bootable Backup most people don't really need it anymore since Apple includes the Recovery Partition to do maintenance, reinstall amongst other Utilities.