How to format a Mac bootable HDD in Windows7?(DESPERATELY NEED HELP!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SquareKite, Oct 17, 2012.

1. SquareKite macrumors newbie

So I had my Macbook. and I wanted to format the HDD. But I had installed Refit, making the standard way of formatting(booting off of the install disk) impossible. So I opened up my Macbook, took out the HDD, put it in my Linux comp and formatted it, initially to FAT32, there. Then I put it my my Macbook. and all I get is the BIOS telling me there's no HDD, even when trying to boot off OSX install disk. I tried practically every combination of different formattings and holding down keys during bootup.
    From what I've deduced, the format needs to be Mac OS Extended Journal(or something along those lines, I dont remember the names i saw in disk utility). But of course, I'm using a Windows computer right now(I no longer have Linux, but wouldbe willing to reinstall if necessary), making formatting it difficult, to say the least.
    So, needless to say, HALP PLOX!!!1(I presume that HALP being in the form of the name of the format i need, and the name of a software that i could use to format it to that)

TL;DR version: Mac HDD is in a non bootable format, I need to format it to something bootable using Windows 7.

If it's of any importance, here are the system "specs": OS: OSX 10.7; Computer: Late 2009 Macbook

2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

What happens when you try to use the OS X install disc? Did you try to format the drive to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) in Disk Utility?

You should be able to do it in Linux without a problem. I remember seeing the option to format to HFS/HFS+ in GParted. I know MacDrive allows you to read/write to HFS+ drives while in Windows, but I'm not sure if it lets you partition drives.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

The partition scheme on the drive must also be "GUID Partition Table", in order to boot from the drive on any Intel-based Mac.

An "Apple partition map" (APM) or "Master boot record" (MBR) partition scheme will not boot on an Intel-based Mac.

4. SquareKite thread starter macrumors newbie

I just get the Macbook BIOS giving me an circle with a line through it, which i assume is the symbol for "No HDD detected". And Like i said, I'd like to do this Windows. Linux isn't really an option for me to use anymore.

I dont know what any of that means. I just sort of assumed the format needs to be "Mac OS extended journaled