How to format a Mac hard drive to Windows on XP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Roba, May 12, 2007.

1. Roba macrumors 6502

Hi i have Mac OS on one of my hard drives and i want to wipe it in Windows XP and format it with MS-DOS.
    I usually would have done this with my iBook but it is in service right now getting a HD upgrade.
    I only have access to a Windows computer right now and i want to wipe the drive and use it for my Mini PC at home but i cannot as currently the Mini PC will not allow me to install Windows XP on top of Mac OS. I think that i need to wipe the drive first and then format it.
    I only have access to internet cafes at the moment which is where i hope to wipe the drive.
    The device is showing up as USB device on one of the computers in the internet cafe but it will not allow me to wipe the drive.
    I don't really fancy going up London to Regents Street to format my drive in the Apple store. There must be an easier way to do this in Windows. Does anybody know how i can do this?
    Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This might be that the internet cafés have disabled the ability to format a drive, for obvious safety reasons.

What happens when you try and format the drive and how do you try.

This may help

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not ask the internet cafe if they can format it for you? They are generally pretty helpful about these things.

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I don't think it's anything to do with the internet café computer. The same thing happens when you plug-in a Macintosh-formated iPod.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The same thing happens because they are the same file system.

6. Roba thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that they may have done that. There are no options for me to troubleshoot it or do anything with it.
    I will try another internet cafe later and see if i can do it there.

Eraserhead i asked them to help me but they are not really interested.

If when i go to another internet cafe to try and it does not work i may go the Apple store tomorrow or wait until i get my iBook back to do this.
    Thanks for your help