How to format a macbook pro without CD?

lisiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I recently bought a macbook pro, that came with lion, i guess, already installed, and few days ago something happend with it because appeard disc corrupted, the solution format the disc, but how do i format withou the dvd with the os???

Thank you!!

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Hold the Option key while you turn the computer on; keep it held until you reach the boot disk selection screen. Select the recovery partition. Once you're in the recovery system, you can run Disk Utility from the menu bar.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
So do you have any idea of what shoul i do??
i'll try what omgitscrosaid.
But if you have something more please tell me!!

thanks.:eek:
Apple replaced all install/recovery CDs with the recovery partition. Follow the instructions I posted to access it.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Hold the Option key while you turn the computer on; keep it held until you reach the boot disk selection screen. Select the recovery partition. Once you're in the recovery system, you can run Disk Utility from the menu bar.
This is the best way to do it. Make sure you partition in MacOSX Journaled and make sure its a GUID partition in the options menu when in the Disk Utility menu.

lisiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Man, i went there, and says that i need to reformat.
i don't know how to do this.:(

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Remember those links that simsaladimbamba posted that you seemed to ignore because you couldn't seem to be bothered? You should read them. ;)

lisiac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Remember those links that simsaladimbamba posted that you seemed to ignore because you couldn't seem to be bothered? You should read them. ;)
I didn' see that, do you think the fact that i hadn't did the GUID will bring me trouble trying to format?

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Do you have any idea what should i do?
Connect your Mac to the Internet via an Ethernet cable.
Hold down option-r while turning the Mac on.
This should start remote restoration of your Mac. It will take a while since it will basically download the installation files from apple servers.
If this doesn't work, then you'll have to make a trip to the apple store.