How to format HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Aug 28, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Ok, so I have this hard drive which I had used for my PS3 before and it obviously has all the PS3 stuff written to it. Recently my desktop's hard drive failed and will not boot, it goes straight to a blue screen telling me to back up my stuff and saying something about a physical memory dump I think. Can I still backup my stuff if it doesn't boot? & how can I format the PS3's former hard drive so that I can install it on my desktop?

2. Prodo123, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Assuming your desktop is a Windows machine experiencing BSODs, boot using a Ubuntu Live USB/DVD. Research Ubuntu.com to find out how to make them. Back up all of your stuff from there.

After backing up, and installing the PS3 drive, if you want to back that up too go ahead.

When all backups are done, format the drive using the Windows install DVD.

WRONG FORUM!

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

To backup if it won't boot: you can try target disk mode
    1. plug your computer into another mac with a firewire cable and hold down the letter t on your computer as it boots
    2. your computer will act as an external hard drive, so copy the files

to format a hard drive:
    1. when you install it into your computer, the OSX install disk includes disk utility. Open disk utility from the menu bar and click the hard drive and click the tab called erase. Then select HFS+ journaled and hit format.

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

5. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I understand that and I apologize, I just don't have anywhere else to turn to for quick and knowledgeable help. Thanks for all the answers though.