how to format macbook pro 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by element03, Jul 28, 2011.

1. element03 macrumors newbie

I just want to delete everything on my internal hard drive(macintosh hd) because its slow and it freezes. Also I already back-up some of my files like pictures and music.

Information:
    When i bought this macbook i have os x leopard and NOW i have the os x lion.
    I have the original cd's

Please tell me step-by-step on how to format my macbook pro.:apple:

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Insert SL DVD into drive, reboot, hold the C button while it boots, you can choose to boot the DVD. Before reinstalling SL, go into Disk Utility (after the SL DVD boots but before installation) and format/erase the HDD (keeping the Mac OS Extended Journaled file system). Then go through with the clean installation of SL.

Just did it today as Lion has been glitchy for me.

3. scboxa macrumors member

make sure when you go to disk utility you pick what type of format you want. i think its default on the quick erease which dosent completely format it. click the 2nd option zero out or the 7 pass its beside the 'erease' tab.

4. element03, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

element03 thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW What is a SL DVD? And will it erase all my download application, pictures, etc? Thanks man in advance

5. H8T2W8T, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

H8T2W8T macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard (install disk) DVD. When you reformat/erase your HDD, you will erase everything you mentioned. You'll need to back everything up before you reformat/erase.