How to format read-only MBA USB install key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jbgc, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jbgc macrumors member

I have a Snow Leopard install USB from one of the old 2010 MacBook Airs, but I will probably never use it again because I'm running Lion and have no desire to downgrade. It is really cool and I want to be able to use it for my own purposes. The only problem is that it's formatted as a read-only device and I can't format it in Disk Utility.

I've searched around and have even tried the chinese SMI Mass Production Format tool but it does not work for me.

Any ideas on how I can force format this to be used as a regular USB flash drive? Any help is appreciated.

2. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i used this tool too under windows

it works like a charm

3. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

It's a read only USB! It's designed to have the same thing forever and ever. Apple made sure you can't delete or format the thing.

4. mikeray macrumors regular

Yeah just get a really cool looking USB flash drive and call it a day :)

5. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

I did it before on my brother's Apple USB, it just won't work on mine. I KNOW it can be done, just can't figure it out.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

lol. You can unlock it with SM32Xtest (Windows). It's not really "read only."

Michael

7. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone else wish Apple would sell us these things? I'd buy a 64 gig one in a heart beat, and various other sizes for various other uses as well.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

9. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

This way worked for me. Thank you!

That would be the greatest thing ever. I love them so much that I went on ebay and bought 3 more. Perfect for keychains, super thin, very fast read speeds - and they're SO COOL!

10. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I tried to unlock mine but once I start the scan on sm32Xtest after 42 seconds it says FAILED
    then I checked on my Mac and Disk Utility doesn't see it because it's still a read only disc.

What went wrong?

11. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Problem solved. I downloaded the sm32Xtest file from another source and it worked like a charm.:)
    I'm going to hoard this little :apple: drives LOL