How to free my MBP OS memory?after a long run?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msslife, Apr 27, 2010.

1. msslife macrumors member

Hello

Guys,

Every time I use my MBP alum a lots and after I close everything the machine gets and still very slow and I have to restart my Mac to refresh the memory.

My mac spec is MBP alumenuim 2G 2.2 .

I would like to notice I did not face this problem in the past with my old MBP 2007 4g 2.4ghz

So anyway I could free the memory or something instead of restarting the machine

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe that is because your old MBP had 4GB, the current one only has 2GB?

3. msslife thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know but I don't shut my old mac and it is running for 24h x 7 days very good.

Is there any app would help me clean the memory of my new mac?

Many thanks for your reply

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Check the Activity Monitor (in Applications -> Utilities) and see if there are any programs hogging CPU or RAM. You should be able to quit those processes from there, which will hopefully restore some speed to your Mac, as well as give you an idea of what's going on.

An example screenshot (though, my MBP is in good shape and hot exhibiting trouble):

[​IMG]

5. mattrothcline macrumors newbie

You don't need to "clean" your memory. Once you have quit an application, it's gone from memory. The operating system manages the rest.

Therefore, if your machine is slow, then you must have programs running in the background.

Use Activity Monitor and look at the CPU and Real Memory columns to find out what's using your computer's resources.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The only solution might be to just reboot. If I use my computer for a while then quit everything, OS X still shows several GB of RAM in use. Even if I log out, not all of it is freed up. I have 6gb, so it isn't normally a problem, but I imagine it would be a problem with just 2gb.

I think this is a bug in 10.6.