How To Free Up Space On Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PHARMDRX, Sep 16, 2016.

1. PHARMDRX macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

So I haven't upgraded my iphone until now since 2014. I didn't realize that I probably would need more space, and went ahead and got myself and wife 32 gb phones. We have a problem because the stuff on my old phone (64gb) now will not fit on new phone. I looked into what most of the stuff is being stored and its 19gb of imessage and 11 gb of photos on my phone. My question is...is there anyway for me to back this stuff up so that every once in a while lets say every 30 days it deletes the stuff from my phone and backs it up somewhere where i can always access it. I know Google Photos can do that with the photos, but I was wondering if anything I can do with Imessages if i dont want to delete them.

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

Purchase 50GB of iCloud storage for $0.99 per month, then turn on iCloud Photo Library which will upload full-res copies of your photos. The photos will then not be included in iCloud backups of the phone since they're already backed up in iCloud. The default setting "Optimize Phone Storage" will remove copies of photos in local phone storage as need to free up space. You can download the photos to PC or Mac from iCloud.

I don't know a good way to manage iMessage space, sorry. (Edit - just found the "Keep Messages" setting, which is set to only 1 year on my phone.)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

19 gb of iMessages? Do you need all that? I just set mine to auto delete anything older than a year.