How to free up storage on MacBook??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jennbngl, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Jennbngl macrumors newbie

:confused:

I have a Macbook Pro and an external hard drive for Mac. I want to copy what's on my Mac to the hard drive, which I did a backup through Time Machine.

My question is - how do I delete stuff from the Macbook to free up space? I want to download the new operating system, but don't have enough memory.

Any help would be awesome!!

Thanks!

2. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

I have partitioned my external drive into two volumes (partitions), one for Time Machine and one for regular data. I can move big video files etc onto the data volume and off my MacBook Pro, without having Time Machine eventually erase them from the backup and thus losing them entirely. After all, your Time Capsule or any external drive volume used by Time Machine is not a storage solution, it's a backup.

You can use a program like DaisyDisk to get a good idea of what's taking up all the space on your hard drive. DaisyDisk isn't free, but there might be a trial of it.

3. eyeyen macrumors newbie

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've found that deleting system files for old programs is handy. Peruse the Library and System folders for files with old apps in the name and things like that. Be careful you don't delete something important though :)

5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Disk Inventory X

http://www.derlien.com

Download and run it. It will give you a graphical representation of everything on your lapot.