How to free up storage on my MacBook SSD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Minxy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Minxy macrumors member

I have a MacBook Air 2012 with 128GB SSD. Although i keep all major docs and media on a separate hdd I'm finding I have virtually no storage space on the Mac and am always having to delete files so I'd like to free up some space.

1) I use iTunes and the iTunes Match service where i have music stored in the Cloud. The problem is my music on iTunes match has been automatically downloaded to the SSD. I would delete it but suspect it will happen again. How can I keep my music collection in the Cloud and stop it downloading locally?

2) Whenever I connect my iPhone or iPad to my Mac, iPhoto opens and seems to be copying over all my photos. Coming from Windows this seems a bit of a palaver (because on Windows you can just browse the photos on the phone.) Is there a way to just browse the photos on the phone and stop photos copying over?

3) I was told that to uninstall a program on a Mac all you do is move it to the trash folder which is what I've been doing. But I read something on the internet that had a lot of complicated steps. What is the right way to uninstall?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I urge anyone with an SSD to an external drive. Try the right steps in the blog post How to move your iTunes media collection to an external hard drive.

Better yet get an external wireless router with a USB 2 port on the back and put an external with iTunes Media file on it to that. Then to have it on the road just VPN back to your network on any wireless network and listen to your iTunes media all over.

3. Minxy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I do need iTunes on my Mac but can't always have the separate HDD with me. Is there a way to just prevent iTunes Match from automatically downloading songs?

And turn off iPhoto so it doesn't download pictures when i connect an iOS device?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Connect your iOS device and run Image Capture. Make sure device settings are being shown - show/hide with the arrow in a box in the lower left corner. And change the setting for connecting the device to "No Application".

Attached Files:

5. Minxy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Bear, that worked!
    A bit obscure if you don't know OSX.