How to freeze volume adjustment (parental conrol??)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Achiever, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Forgive me if this question has an easy answer, but I genuinely don't know it. I sometimes give my kids my iPhone or iPad to play with they they immediately crank the volume on videos, YouTube, etc. I lower it and they immediately raise it. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Is there a setting in iOS 7 which allows a parent to freeze the volume of video, music, apps, etc. at whatever its current setting is and disabling the hardware and screen volume control adjustments? Thanks.

2. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If you go to Settings > General > Restrictions and enable them then scroll to the bottom of the list there is an option for "Volume Changes". You can have "Allow Changes" or "Don't Allow Changes"...i presume ticking the "Don't Allow Changes" before handing it over to the kids will do what you want.

3. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

It seems like this should work, but after clicking the Don't Allow Changes, I can still increase/decrease volumes with the hardware buttons and in apps. Any other thoughts?

BTW, using a 5s with 7.0.3 if that makes a difference.

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Apologies it appears this option is to stop the removal of a sound limit not changing the volume itself. Just googled the option and found this :-

So it looks like parents could decide on the maximum volume a child could have on their iDevice through one setting, the first one here, then use the restrictions thing i mentioned to stop that limit being turned off or changed. Whether you could use this to work around what you need i'm not sure.

5. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thanks for your continued efforts (I was excited about the possibility of this working!) but the googled suggestion doesn't limit volume in Music, Instacast, Safari, etc. It remains adjustable by way of both hardware and software.

Anyone else with experience/suggestions with this? I can't imagine that there is no way to set maximum volume on apps as a parental control of some sort.