How to fresh install and keep texts/iMessages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EJ8, Sep 15, 2015.

1. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

iMessages are the only thing I want to restore. I can't seem to remember if this is possible and how to do it.

2. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong but I don't think you can. If you have them on your iMessage on iPad of Mac then you'll still have access to them but not on the phone if you do a clean install.

3. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I have the same question. The only other thing I'd want to preserve are photos and those save separately to icloud.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I think restoring from backup is all or nothing.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have a choice, restore from a backup and get everything back, or fresh install and your data (including your messages) will be gone.

6. grantmo macrumors member

Will your camera roll with all your pics and vids still be there with a fresh install?

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you're running Windows you can always download your saved camera roll pictures by accessing your iPhone like you would an external device or hard drive.

8. codeman7 macrumors member

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Couldn't you go to your iCloud backup settings and disable everything except messages/photos? Then do a restore, and restore from the icloud backup with just messages/photos.

10. Razeus macrumors 601

I was going to ask this. I need a fresh install but I need my iMessages for business purposes/documentation.

11. EJ8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EJ8

This is the only idea I had. I'm not sure how many other random artifacts the backup may bring over but I think I'm going to try this.