How to fresh install Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Slinkington, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

I just got a new iMac and am giving my old one to my Dad. I bought it years ago with Leopard, which I upgraded to Snow Leopard and then a few months ago to Lion from the Mac AppStore. I am wondering now, how to wipe the hard drive - and about what to do with the operating systems. Obviously, I bought Lion on my account, so with my Dad creating his own account, will I have to downgrade the OS?

Not really sure what I'm meant to do now, hope this makes sense to you. Thanks for your time. :)

2. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

3. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

I see lots of sites that talk about creating a USB installer for Lion, all of which say 'find the downloaded lion installer'. Just purchased it on the app store, and am downloading it, how do I 'not' install it? Doesn't it simply start installing once it is fully downloaded? Can I interrupt that? Downloading overnight, what if I am asleep? Sigh....

4. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Never mind, once it downloaded I simply cancelled the 'continue' phase, and now have the installer disk image to use to create he bootable USB per a number of the web site walkthru's....

5. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

If you are running Mac OS 10.6.6 or later on another machine, purchase/redownload the Lion installer and put it in your Applications folder. Grab a spare 4GB USB stick (one that nothing important is on), and download this application:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39701/lion-diskmaker

It will create a bootable USB Lion installer, or DVD Installer. Keep in mind that you should not interrupt the application while it is running and creating the bootable USB disk/DVD. You will know it is finished when the pop-up says that the task is completed.