How to fully clean install iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AndyK, Sep 19, 2012.

1. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

So, I do a full iTunes sync and I've done a full backup to iCloud.

I assume I then go to restore in iTunes and it will give me options to blank the phone, install iOS6 and then restore my iTunes & iCloud backups?

I'm a little lost on finding a rough procedure to re install the phone like new but to also restore my preferences / apps etc as they were.

Any help anyone can offer I'd greatly appreciate :)

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

just connect it up to itunes, go to the device main page and then hit restore? not sure what the issues is, Sounds like you know what to do.

3. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

I don't know if you guys noticed. When you update an app, the old one goes to the trash. That's how I see it in my computer. So same goes with the iOS. It goes to the trash. I was able to save 5.0 and 5.0.1.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

personally if I wanna do a clean install I go with DFU Mode restore

to restore game saves etc I tend to use iexplorer to save game saves off phone to PC/Mac or iFunbox and copy back to phone accordingly

5. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I'll usually do these steps:

1. Plug in my iPhone.

2. Hit restore

3. A message will pop out asking whether you want to backup. Click backup

4. After iTunes has backed up all your stuff, it will automatically go into restoring your phone. It will check for the most recent software update (iOS 6) , download it, wipe your phone clean, and restore the new OS into your phone.

5. Your phone will restore into clean iOS 6 build. You can then put your stuff back in.

I know OTA updates should not be a problem considering iOS 5 is built for OTA updates. But I do like the idea of cleaning out your phone first, then putting your junk back in. I know it maybe doesn't even do much, but it is psychologically assuring. Who knows it might really make a difference? Who knows what bugs I would get if I simply update my iOS 5 device to iOS 6 simply downloading some smaller files and replacing it in house? Its the same as running some junk antivirus to wipe out viruses instead of restoring it clean. (Assuming you rarely do get viruses of course)

6. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

If you go this route, will message data and phone history be restored along with the iOS6 restoration? Or do you start fresh?

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

You have to load the backup on the phone after restoring it to iOS 6. I think that's what he meant at point 5. Without it will be like a new iPhone fresh out the box. Calendar and contacts and so on you would get with your iCloud account but nothing else.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Two ways to update, right?

a) Normal upgrade. Keeps all the preferences, files, etc in place.

b) Clean Install.. meaning phone is back to factory condition, empty, no apps, no files, no pics, no contacts, etc. Then install IOS, and then apps, contacts, etc

It is hard to tell which one the OP is asking about.

9. stevenash2001 macrumors newbie

So is iOS 6 out?
    Just checked my iPhone via OTA and iTunes .... nothing at all.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Back up to iCloud

Restore from the phone

Enter your iCloud username and password

Phone restores

Apple has made this "Insanely Simple".

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Not yet, probably in another couple hours, OP was just asking how to do it so he's ready when the time comes.

12. guitarguy316 macrumors regular

13. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

When you hit backup when the message pops out, iTunes will backup all your messages, text messages and everything except for apps and perhaps music (not sure, I don't listen to music).
    For the apps part, you have to transfer your purchases from your iPhone to iTunes separately before everything else by rightclicking your device's name when it shows up in iTunes. (transfer purchases button).

So yes, iTunes will backup your messages and phone data and contacts everything to your computer first.
    Then, it will download the latest iOS 6 release and then wipe your phone clean of anything else. Following that, it will install iOS 6 on it and when it reboots it will say your iPhone has been restored and what you will see is a completely clean iPhone with nothing else in it that's yours.

What you need to do next is to restore from the previous backup you have done before you restored the iPhone by clicking the option 'restore from previous backup' when it shows up after your iphone has been restored to clean iOS 6 state.

Theres no need to select your backup from the dropdown menu beside the option since it automatically selects your latest backup (i think?).

So did I explain it thoroughly enough or was it too confusing? I explained it in complete detail so I hoped it helped you.

14. TJ5921 macrumors regular

I would also like to know if its worth it or if just updating it is the same result

15. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's similar to a clean install of OSX: any bad/useless files left behind that could impact system performance. This way, it's a clean setup.

16. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

The source of confusion for me is whether the restore from iTunes backup also brings back the garbage that shows as "other" in iTunes. I think it would. This garbage may also include some jailbreak remnants which I don't want.

I'm thinking an iCloud restore after setup as "new" iPhone would eliminate the "other" garbage. At this point, this is the way I intend to proceed.

17. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Is this the same as a re-write type of install like it is when installing Lion over Tiger where system info is retained etc or is this a totally new install but with the addition of your app prefs?

Let's say you want a fresh factory install then later add a few apps from your back up.

Just do a factory install then later drag apps from iTunes over to iPhone?

All message history is in the cloud right? Does that include only @me.com mail or all email accounts?
    Actually I guess it's only @me.com mail and with your other accounts the message history would be re-downloaded again anyway from the mail servers.

18. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Have you tried clearing your text messages? Also, I suspect app data may also be considered in the 'other' storage in iTunes.

19. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I have 2GB of 'other' on my 32GB 4S. I'm sure much of it is jailbroken apps & data. If it's text messages, I'm ok with that and would like txt's to restore. Same for Apple apps data...ok if it restores from iCloud, but not essential.

I want a restore method that cleans up un-associated data and jailbreak remnants.