How to fully format my HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jon08, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm getting a new internal HDD for my MBP soon, so I plan to sell my current Hitachi HDD if possible.

Now before I sell it I'd like to fully format it so that the person whom I sell the HDD to won't be able to retrieve my info. Is the Disk Utility format adequate? What other options do I have?

Also, if I use Disk Utility - which Format option should I choose?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...choose the 7 times zero pass, it will right zeros to the HDD 7 times over = it will take a while but its the most secure for your data...

The other thing, if you're doing the HDD upgrade yourself you might want to consider keeping the old HDD so that you can swap it back in if you have to send it to Apple for repair = they are under no obligation to remove your 3rd party upgrades if they decide to replace your computer with a new machine so you could lose the upgrade...

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hm, I'm actually going to have the HDD replaced by one of our Apple resellers around here... Should I ask them for some sort of proof that it was them who replaced it and not myself?

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Btw, where is the "7 times zero pass" option?

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

There's really no need for proof. Hard drives are considered user serviceable. The only issue you'd have with AppleCare is if the hard drive itself is causing issues. They won't be able to replace it, but the place you bought it from should. As for other warranty services, Apple will have no issues with an MBP with a non-Apple hard drive. Just make sure your MBP works when you get it back from the Apple reseller and make sure there is some guarantee from their end on service performed on your machine.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If its done by a reseller and done using an Apple authorized part, the replacement should be logged as being done as an upgrade for your machine so that Apple will still honor the new hard drive under AppleCare or your warrantee. If done by a reseller but with a third party part, it might still get logged as being done, but Apple won't cover the drive under AppleCare/warrantee. But at least they won't be able to say you broke something else while replacing the drive.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Disk Utility.