How to gauge prices when selling iPhone 3G on Ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I probably should have tried this before the 3GS was released, but it's worth trying. I'm selling mine for $294.99 because I've seen people selling theirs for at least $300, but I'm beginning to think this is a bit too high considering I see people starting lower (sometimes even at $.99 before the bidding takes it to $330). Do I really have any chance of selling it if I put it this high to begin with? I know that bids generally tend to rise in the last day and even the last few hours, but should I definitely lower it by $50, or will someone wait until the last day to buy it if they don't want competition?

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

No idea but I'm going to sell my 8gb 3G starting @ $.99 on a one day auction as soon as the dev team released the unlock software. It's only going to get more competitive I'd assume so I'll pretty much take what I can get.

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like I should sell mine at around $199 maybe, or I might just go with $.99. If I do sell it at that price but don't get to a price I like (say under $200), I can always cancel it, right, and not sell it?

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Start low, set a Buy it Now price that you like, and let it go (but keep it short--no week-long auctions!). If you're too worried, set a reserve that makes you comfortable.

Don't think about it if people don't bid until the last day. I wouldn't bid until the auction were within minutes of ending, especially on something like an iPhone, and most people feel the same.

Oh, and definitely set some parameters: US & Canada only at the very least, no negative or zero rated bidders, no bidders who have retracted recently, no exceptions.

I sold on craigslist, because I could sell without eBay and PayPal taking a cut. I definitely got flakes, but it sold quickly. I got $400 for my 16gig white yesterday.

Good luck. :)

5. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

You could always set a reserve price so that if you don't get any bids at the limit you set, the auction ends with no winner. Say you'd like to sell your phone for $250, you would set a reserve price of $250. Someone could bid $249.99 but they would still lose because you wanted at least $250.

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I messed up with my description, I've already had someone ask me this:

How is this already unlocked with 3.0? Ultra sn0w hasn't been released yet

I bought the iPhone 3G a year ago and it has 3.0 on it, but I'd imagine since it was activated, it'd be unlocked when I give it to someone else

7. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, this is a tremendous help, I'll definitely take your advice and set up a craigslist account right now and see if I get lucky. Can I still make it a 1 day bidding and set a reserve price even though I already set it at $294.99 (don't think I have a reserve price) and set it for 7 days? And what exactly is "Buy it Now", I know that auction goes to the highest bidder in a limited time, but what does buy it now do?

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

No, it'll be able to be activated by someone else using AT&T, but it will still be locked into AT&T as a carrier.

Edit: You don't need a craigslist account. You can get one, but it's unnecessary. Just place an ad following the instructions. It's not an auction, more like a classified ad. Use an e-mail that you don't mind having some flakes use. They see your ad and respond to the anonymous craigslist e-mail, but then you reply with your real e-mail to anyone who seems reasonable. Go from there. Meet in a public place. CASH ONLY! Say so in your ad. In bold.

As for eBay, Buy it Now is an add-on to an auction. If someone sees something that they definitely want, and don't want to compete for it, they can choose to complete the seller's Buy it Now option and buy it for the BiN price. No haggling, no doubt. Done deal. They pay immediately via PayPal. It's less hassle for everyone.

9. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

You can also try craigslist. People are putting their iPhone 3G's up for sale for $300-$400.

10. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

If someone selects buy it now, they agree to pay the price you set and they have to pay immediately. The auction will also end instantly and the only thing left is for you to ship.

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see, so I have to say 3.0 activated then or something like that? I changed it, must have got some attention, lol. I think I'll keep this $294.99 here (good price I wouldn't mind selling it for) while I put it on craigslist as well. Can I revise an ebay item to put a certain reserve price, I can't seem to find it.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Just for an example, this is the ad I used to sell my 3G.

13. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a really good example, hope you don't mind if I take a few cues from it :D, especially the tethering one, I should probably mention that, that could get some attention over the others. Yea I just put mine on craigslist, though I don't live in a busy state (South Carolina) so I may or may not get it easily. Just quick question though: if I do indeed sell it, I Take out my sim, but do I just hit restore on the phone when I take it to iTunes, or at least is that what everyone does?

14. sms0217ny macrumors regular

I sold my black 16 GB 3G on Craigslist today for $350, loaded with 3.0 and Jailbroken, but not unlocked.

15. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like this is the best option to do, too bad I don't really live in a populous state (South Carolina). Just one question though: I already have this same phone on ebay for $294.99, but now I'm trying to sell it on craigslist for $315, but if I get a bid on Ebay, do I have to sell it? I know people here already told me that there is a reserve price that you can set, but I can no longer revise the product like that, though I doubt I'll get any bids for the next 6 days (probably until the last hour). Do I HAVE to sell it if I get a bid without a reserve price on Ebay though? I'm wondering if I should take it off of Ebay incase I HAVE to sell it or I get a better offer on Craigslist, but I really wouldn't mind getting $294.99 in the first place and maybe the bids could push it up even higher.

16. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I would take it off of eBay, at least to get a feel for your local craigslist. Because yes, you have to take the bid if you don't cancel the auction. You can always relist if you need to.

17. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Just took your advice and took it off Ebay, thanks for telling me about that. Thanks a lot man you've been a really big help to me. I'll take your advice of putting a Buy it Now as well as a Reserve Price later if I can't get it to sell on Craigslist. This is my first experience with both Ebay and Craigslist, I knew I would eventually learn all the tips, but you've just told me that all in one thread, can't thank you enough! Hopefully I can sell my 3G for around $315 and enjoy a 3GS soon like the rest of you guys : D

One last question: When does Ebay charge you for actually putting an item for sale? They gave me a starting list price of $0, but is this just for the first 5 products you sell or something, or do you pretty much always get to put anything on Ebay without paying a price (until you actually sell it and pay the final listing price).