how to generate public link from Dropbox for iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bengi, Jan 5, 2013.

1. bengi, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

bengi macrumors member

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Did you use the "Insert Link" option instead of "Insert Image" on this forum? Maybe that's the problem. If that doesn't work maybe there's a security setting in your Dropbox account that needs to be changed.

Never tried this before so I'm just thinking out loud. :)

Edit I just tried the insert image option and got the same result as you. Hopefully it's something easy like a setting change.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think it has something to do with the way Dropbox wraps their images. Notice when you go to the URL link it takes you to a page instead of just the image? I'm not sure how to solve it though.

4. ConCat, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

You can do this from iOS. Go to the image and get the link from the iOS app. Past the link into Safari. Click the icon on the top right, and click "Direct Download", then use the URL that you're directed to to post on MR.

EDIT: Just discovered a more efficient way. Get the URL from the Dropbox app, and type at the end "?dl=1" without the quotes, when you post the image to MR. Should work like a charm.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

6. bengi thread starter macrumors member

great, it works. now I have to reduce file size or delete the url.

BTW, for those curious the picture is the engine/gearbox connection of my car where is has some oil spills, the car is a 2007 Land Rover Defender no
    longer available in tne states

7. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Hah, I was right. I thought it was the inside of a car. :D I don't really know cars.