How to get a iPhone in 5 minutes next time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentCrs, Jul 26, 2008.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Thought I'd make note of this, now that the fervor has died down. I've managed to get an iPhone (both the first and 3G) in under 5 minutes each time at the Apple Store. No line, no wait. The secret for next time:

* Go to the store the day AFTER the launch at 8 AM.

Most people didn't realize the stores were open at 8 AM the Saturday after the launch (regardless of what hours the apple.com page said). I was able to literally go in both launches, get the phone and walk out in under 5 minutes.

Sadly, I threw my 3G one in a washing machine this time around and am waiting on a replacement. The lines increase after that second day, so you have to time it right.

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

wow they released the 3g already:eek:

3. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

4. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

yea....that would never work in New York, theres always a line

5. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

where can i find this city of new york???:confused:

boston>nyc

6. SilentCrs thread starter macrumors regular

That's why no one smart lives in NY. :p I'm in NJ. No line.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

LOL, not quite that simple in most locations. I went to my local Apple store 20 minutes before they opened on day 2. There were already 200 people there standing in line. Took me 5 hours to get my phone that day.

8. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I can assure you of one thing: the fervor has not died down in NYC as of today. There still are 3-5 hour wait at all 3 locations.

9. Ozz.Man macrumors member

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Ah, New Jersey. The armpit of America and bastard offspring of NY...thanks but I'll stay in NY ;)

11. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

agreed, NY might be expensive and crowded, but IMO its one of the best places on earth to live

12. SilentCrs thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, we have a beach here. And trees. And we can pretty much take as much money as we want from NYC for our jobs. You just have pollution, overbearing taxes and a big terrorist bullseye over where you idiotically decided to put your home. :p There's a reason why people in NJ are generally more wealthy than New Yorkers and go to better schools, but I digress.

13. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

I've lived in Ocean County, NJ all my life but that comment about being a terrorist target was in poor taste. It's certainly not representative of how I feel about the subject. What an assinine comment.

14. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I did something similar; i went to the AT&T corp store 90 days after launch;
    ZERO wait time
    saved $200
    I'm betting this time around it works almost as well but i'll get a 32gb iPhone not 16 for $399 :D

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

16. chic macrumors newbie

I know next time, I either go really early before the sun hits or really late when the sun dies down. I went in the afternoon this time and I got second degree sunburn and blisters on my arms. I had to buy the phone and pay $15 co-pay and $35 medicine to see the doctor after I left the Apple store. Now, I'm so paranoid about the sun.

17. joekun macrumors regular

you could just do what a lady did to us on the first day. She waited for the line to start moving and just folded right into it while pretending to talk on the phone. We told the security guard who took her out of the line (to the cheers of everyone else) and then brought her back because she said she had been there (when there were 4 separate groups of people telling him she wasn't). Later an apple store rep came and asked if we needed anything and we told her about the situation, but she said there was nothing she could do. I told her that I would keep that in mind next time. And why not, if they are not going to police the line then why wait?

18. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Yeah right

19. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i would have hit her, i hate people like that, or i would have taken her phone and smashed her face with it,

small disclaimer i have anger problems

20. weatherman316 macrumors member

Ugh, please tell me you only mean during peak times? I planned on either going to the 5th Ave or SoHo store either before opening or just before closing. (I know 5th Ave is technically open 24/7 but only does iphone sales during specific hours). If I get to either location an hour before, etc. during the week should I be okay or is the wait/line going to be that long no matter what?

21. SilentCrs thread starter macrumors regular

NJ being the "armpit of America" is also in poor taste if you ask me.

As for referring to it as a "3G iPhone", let's not get all comic book store owner here people. "iPhone 3G", "3G iPhone", whatever. If you think Apple is actually going to call the next version "3G iPhone" after they've gone out of their way to market this one as "iPhone 3G", you're crazy. It'll probably just be referred to as "iPhone" again, similar as they did with the iPod Photo.

22. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

You chopped a little to much off that quote..
    Read the first line... I even made it bold to point it out ;)

As with any new gadget I wait 90 days for 3 reason
    product availability aka lines
    bugs aka crap build quality to get item to market
    price drop aka now that everyone has it and its not moving like hotcakes drop it 10-30% or more in price