Carrier How to get a new iPhone 6s on VZN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayes, Oct 9, 2015.

1. jayes macrumors regular

My son has three lines on his VZN account.

Line 1 - iPhone 6 -unlimited data (his)
    Line 2 - iPhone 4 - 2 gb plan (wife)
    Line 3 - dumb phone

He would like to get his wife a new iPhone. I believe the dumb phone line and his line are the only ones with usable upgrade. If memory serves, he used his wife's upgrade to get his iPhone 6. He would like to retain unlimited on his line. What is the best way to get a new phone for his wife? If he uses line 3 upgrade and gives that phone to wife does he add an extra $20 a month for data he won't ever use ? What about Edge program? Does that make phone more expensive? I think he should know all possible options before going into VZN store since I don't trust the sales people to give the whole story. Thanks for suggestions.

2. hondaivtec2007 macrumors newbie

3. hondaivtec2007 macrumors newbie

Just transfer the upgrade to wife phone activate it then put wife phone back on that line and take the new phone put on ur sons line. Also Verizon will be increasing unlimited to $50.00 a month to get people off unlimited data.

4. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

Why don't you have your son go to Verizon.com and log into his account. Then transfer his upgrade to his wife's line and order a new iPhone. When the new phone comes activate like normal because she's keeping the phone. That way he just renewed his contract for another 2 years and won't be charged the new $20 Verizon is gonna add. Do it quick because the new price goes into affect soon. I just did this to my 2 lines with unlimited data so it does work. That's for everyone that's gonna say it can't be done.

5. MichaelCD macrumors member

I did the best buy method and it works. I got a new contract with unlimited until 2017

6. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

Honda.... I'm a little confused.
    Son does not want a new phone. If he transfers the upgrade from dumb phone line to wife's line will he have to add $20 data usage to that line since it does not have data on it now? I thought VZN closed that loophole last year. Or was that only an issue if the phone was bought on the dumb line and given to the person with unlimited. It would be really nice if its just a matter of transferring the upgrade.

7. MichaelCD macrumors member

Follow this instructions and you can keep the unlimited.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-ver...a-2-year-data-plan-on-a-nationwide-basic-line

8. hondaivtec2007 macrumors newbie

I misread sorry but ur right if he upgrades the dumb phone he will be stuck paying the data for 2 years which will cost like 700.00

9. MichaelCD macrumors member

Do anyone knows if I transfer the upgrade on the vz website I get to keep the unlimited?
    I know it works on best buy but its not letting me transfer the upgrade

10. MichaelCD macrumors member

anyone?

11. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the link to this artilce. I had looked at it before, but did not need it at that time. Now I have read it TWICE and my head is spinning! If son does not care about using the new phone, (just wants to let wife use it) can he just activate the new phone on his wife's line and be done with it? I'm referring to the underlined instructions below... in other words.. just stop after doing step #3? I would suggest he do it at Best Buy online to avoid VZN. It seems pretty simple. Am I missing something? None of us are savy enough to be cutting SIM cards etc.

4ever Method

The 4ever method is nothing more than the old upgrade transfer method except with a TDP line rather than a basic line. The 4ever Method is the preferred method if you have a TDP line to transfer an upgrade to as you will not be left with a pending activation or pending equipment order on your line. You must first activate the new phone on the TDP line in order to clear the PA/PEO from the TDP line. Then you put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line and the new phone on the UDP line.

When you do the 4ever Method, it is the UDP line's upgrade that is used and it is the UDP line's contract that is extended, not the TDP line's. The TDP line's contract end date and upgrade date do not change when you do the 4ever Method.

You can do the 4ever Method if you have a line situation like this (you can have additional lines too):

L1: UDP 3G or 4G LTE phone Yes
    L2: TDP 3G or 4G LTE phone No

1) Log onto Verizon or Best Buy and transfer your UDP line's upgrade to a TDP line that is not currently eligible for its own upgrade;
    2) Order the new smartphone you want on the TDP line selecting the TDP line's same data plan if required to select a data plan;
    3) When the new smartphone arrives, activate it on the TDP line according to the directions that came with the phone using the SIM card that ships with the phone;
    4) Wait at least an hour and make a few calls/text from the new smartphone to make sure it activated OK;
    5) If the new smartphone and the TDP line's old phone have the same size SIM card, swap SIMs to put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line; if not, log onto Verizon to put the TDP line's old smartphone back on the TDP line; and
    6) Depending on SIM card size, log onto Verizon and put the new smartphone on the UDP line or swap SIMs with the UDP line's old phone to put the new smartphone on the UDP line.

The 4ever Method works in-store anywhere upgrades can be transferred also, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED to do this in-store at a Verizon corporate store as Verizon reps can manually switch you off of UDP if they make a mistake or if they are just mean and feel like doing it to you. 4ever Method works in-store at Best Buy, Costco and Staples but the reps may tell you that you will lose your UDP but you won't if the rep does it properly. There are likely other stores that can do upgrade transfers, however Apple stores cannot do upgrade transfers.​

12. MichaelCD macrumors member

I'm going to try that and hopefully I can keep the UDP

13. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I guess no one cared to read my post I wrote way up top. Oh well the hell with it. I upgraded my 2 lines last month and still have my unlimited data plan for $10 a month per line after the talk & text $20 discount per line.

14. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

Dennis.. I DID read your post above.. (and very much appreciate your taking the time to answer the question) as well as the post on slick deals. YOUR post is so much more readable. I passed on the information to my son. I suspect he will simply move the upgrade from his UDP line to his wife and let her use the phone. The only question -- I thought one lost one's unlimited when they messed with their contract. Again.. thank you for your input.

15. MichaelCD macrumors member

I just did my second line with UDP using the VZ website and it says that the phone will ship until the 26th. Is that bad?