how to get a set of running applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dacoolest, Dec 23, 2011.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

I recently switched to mac and I have been installing a lot of applications on my mac. I want to know if there are any applications affecting the system's performance. How to view all installed/running applications(services or anything that is related to performance) ?

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Activity Monitor. You'll find it in Applications > Utilities. Set the drop down menu to All Processes.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The Applications that are currently running have a small blue light below their symbol in the Dock.

Applications that are not running will not affect your system performance. If they are running, I assume you need them. Activity Monitor will tell you how much CPU power and Memory each application is using.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... except that not all running apps appear on the Dock. They will, however, appear in Activity Monitor.

5. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, and would you please suggest any methods to monitor items being activated at the system startup (the ones I've installed) ? And things to consider to keep the system performance at a good level when installing new applications (what kind of applications to be avoided etc? )

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the 2nd and 3rd points in the following list to find what apps are launching at startup, as well as other performance suggestions.

Performance tips for Mac OS X

7. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. That page is really informative.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're welcome! Since you recently switched to Mac, you may find some useful tips here, as well:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The programs that are started at startup are listed under "System Preferences" -> "Users & Groups" -> "Login Items"

I would recommend installing & using everything you need :)
    What I completely stopped using is all sorts of monitoring software, i.e. stuff that shows your CPU temperature, GPU status, etc. They don't slow down the system, but make you waste time looking at them and then trying to "optimize" your system to achieve whatever number or system state you have in mind.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... and some may be shown in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

... and the blue light may have been disabled in Sys Pref under Lion so it would need to be enabled first.

12. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again and thanks all for information you have provided. :)