How to get Adobe reader to open certain files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sir Loin Steak, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Not sure where to put this, so here goes.

I want to open a file with the extension .epl, and I want to open it with Adobe Reader. When I do this, each time I have to choose the program from the eApplications list, but I want it to open it every time without me telling it.

How do I arrange this to happen? Is it a System command of some sort, or a preference in Adobe Reader? Or something else?

Thanks all.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Try this. Right click on the file you want to open and choose Get Info. In the Get Info window select Adobe Reader to open the file. If you want all .epl files to open with Adobe Reader then tick the button Change All to open with AR.

3. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I think that's done it, thanks. I do get a prompt now that I wasn't getting before and when i tell it it's ok to open it does open Adobe, so that's more than I was getting before, cheers.

:)

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

That prompt should only happen the first time you open the file with AR.

5. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Not sure about that. On some it seems to open straight off, but others look like the screenshot I'll put on...

Attached Files:

6. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Seems like if I open the exact file a second time then it does indeed open with Adobe. It's the first time that's the issue, I think. Of course, these are files I only want to open once anyway - they are shipping labels for one off goods.

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

That's not the prompt I was thinking of. Are you opening the attachment from within Mail or dragging it out of Mail and onto the desktop first?
    Did you enable all .epl files to open with AR while you were in the Get Info window?

8. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Hard to tell now, as the examples I have I have all opened one way or another.

I was clicking on them while in Mail.

Even if I save them when they arrive in mail, and I save them to another folder somewhere, then the same issue comes up.

When I did as you first said and change things in the Get Info window, the change option looked a bit greyed out, but I clicked anyway and it seemed to let me choose to open all .epl files with AR.

I think I'll go back and check on that now.

9. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Here's what the Get Info box looks like now with .epl files...

Attached Files:

10. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Clicking Change All should give you another prompt saying something like "are you sure you want to open all .epl files with AR?"