How to get advance replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beavk, Jul 18, 2010.

1. beavk macrumors newbie

I pick up the phone a week ago and realized the phone is making some ratting sound at the top of the phone. I kind of investigated into it and found the problem can be reproduced easily by tapping area between the Apple logo and the camera lens with three fingers. It seems like there's a loose screw or something inside the phone.

I called Apple Care and I spoke with a really helpful tier 1 advisor. He scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for me telling me that I should back up the phone since they may replace the phone. But I see that some users here are getting replacements delivered home. I am wondering what are the requirements for AppleCare to offer users replacements delivered since the agent I spoke with only offered the GB option. Do you have to ask for advance replacement or it's only for users who don't live close to an Apple Store?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You call apple care and ask them to send it they take cc details and put a hold on it for the cost of an ip4 and with the replacement you get a box to return your original. Simple

3. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

This is completely normal. I believe it has to do with the auto focus. I've had this on my iPhone 3GS as well. It shouldn't be a problem at all. But if you want to go through with the process all you do is mail your phone in and they'll ship you a replacement. If you have a Apple store in your area and still want to use the mail in option they usually set it up for you to send it to them via UPS.

4. beavk thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple Care and the agent said I need to pay a $29 fee for advance replacement. Anyone with similar experience?

5. mr lee macrumors member

mr lee

I believe most of them do this. At least the three replacements I received from the apple store all had this "rattle" at the top between the logo and the top of the phone.

6. Katanae macrumors member

The fee is 29$, that's right but you might want to consider not replacing it as that noise is perfectly normal, I think it's one of the motion sensors and I am fairly sure every iPhone 4 has it. (inb4 mine doesn't)

7. bt1988 macrumors member

If you have AppleCare, it is waived in my experience, but if you don't, I think the $29 is standard.

8. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

The rattle noise you hear is on every iphone from 3gs to iphone 4. Why? It is the focusing hardware inside of the camera on the back of the phone.