How to get an additional iPhone4 not tied to an account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christophermdia, Jun 17, 2010.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Ok, so here is my situation....I am eligible for an upgrade from my 3GS, so I preordered my iPhone4. My wife, has a 3GS that her work pays the service for, but since its a business account with restrictions, she cannot process an upgrade even if she pays for it on her own. So, how can I get an additional iPhone 4 for her where she could just activate it under her account? She can switch phones without problem for her work, she just doesnt have a way to purchase the phone.....

thanks in advance for the help....

2. waltermitty macrumors member

Hate to say it, but ebay is probably your best bet. I would wait a few months if you want to avoid paying an extortionate price...

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Buy one w/o a contract from ATT for $599/$699. Last year, that wasn't an option at launch though.

4. christophermdia thread starter macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I dont mind paying the $599 price, but I was under the impression that with the $599 price they would still make you try and sign a 2 year contract which with her account she is not physically able to do that on her own....can I just walk in and buy one at ATT and apple for $599 and walk out without giving them a phone number it will be tied to?

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If they are selling ones off contract, then yes. However, it could only be used on AT&T's network and you will get charged for voice/data.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

The way it orig. worked with the 3GS was that no-contract sales didn't require a contract renewal, but sales were still restricted to AT&T customers, so you had to provide an AT&T number when you purchased it. Again, nothing w/ the contract was touched.

A few months ago, Apple dropped that restriction at the Apple Stores. Anyone could walk in and do a no-contract sale without providing any AT&T information. Apple usually does this towards the end of an iPhones life, to clear out inventory. Don't know if AT&T did the same thing at their stores.

I don't know how AT&T will handle iPhone 4 no-contract sales. Either way, it should not involve anything contract related. The worst case I can imagine is that they ask for an AT&T phone number and account verification (SSN, billing zip code) to go with it. In the case, she might have a problem (since it's a business account), but you should be able to buy it for her using your info.