How to get an email alert for a specific email address?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Doc69, May 10, 2012.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to get an email alert (audio or window) only when I get an email from a specific email address?

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Look on the General tab of Mail preferences. :)

Edit... actually that's not what you're after. Ignore!

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do this in OS X Mail app. Go to Mail prefs and the rules tab and setup a rule like in my screenshot. You can tweak it however you want.

Or... you could modify the same rule to run an Applescript that plays sounds and makes a popup.

[​IMG]

4. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Weaselboy, that's brilliant! I use rules all the time, but didn't know that you could set alerts as well.

However, it doesn't seem to work on emails sent to my main inbox (MobileMe account, i.e. xxx@me.com). It does work on all the other pop accounts I have added, like hotmail. Any idea how to fix this?

The difference, as I see it, between the MobileMe account and all my other email accounts, is that MobileMe emails are pushed to the Mail app. Perhaps rules only work when the Mail app checks for and download the messages?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... I don't know what is going on there. I used Rules with MobileMe and now iCloud IMAP push and they work fine. If you set it up exactly like my example it should work.

6. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have done exactly as you showed in your example, and it works on all other mail addresses except MobileMe. But as it works for you with iCloud, and previously with MobileMe, it may be something wrong with just my system.

Anyway, as I'm forced to upgrade to Lion and iCloud before MobileMe expires on June 30, whatever problems I'm having will hopefully be solved then.

Thanks!