How to get analogue video into my MBP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joefinan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Lots of different options. If you don't want a million ideas, you might want to post some specifics ... such as source device, resolution, software, hardware, etc.

Here's a few ideas.

1. If you have a miniDV camcorder, you could use the A/D pass-thru to connect your analog source --> miniDV --> Mac (iMovie, FCE, FCP).

2. If you have an EyeTV device (or similar), they all pretty much have analog inputs (or dongles).

3. DV bridge (such as the the Canopus devices and some Pinnacle devices).

There are tons more techniques. Post some more info.

Good Luck

3. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok!

I have a harddrive TV recorder with RGB, seperated and composite video outputs, and I want to copy it into my MBP via firewire (I guess).

It's purely to archive TV recordings.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Ideally there would be some way to connect the disk drive in the recored to your computer and just copy the files. If you can't do that then you need a device with video in and FW out. As was posted above a camera or capture device. But best if you can just move the files

5. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moving the files is not possible - I've looked into that.

So, can anyone suggest a particular product?

Thanks

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Canopus 110 gets good publicity. The pros are that it's designed for importing analog video and converting it to DV. The cons are that is all that it does.

EyeTV tuners, the Hybrid and 250Plus can both convert analog sources to digital. The 250Plus adds hardware conversion. The plus is that it's also a TV tuner/PVR. The con is that the conversion is MPEG-2 (DV is higher quality).

miniDV camcorders. I'm not up on the model numbers in the UK, but I have the Canon Elura 100, which has an A/D pass-thru. I just used it yesterday to offload a bunch of stuff from my DVR to my Mac. The pro is that it's also a camcorder. The con is that there's no s-video input. Keep in mind that not all miniDV camcorders have A/D pass-thru. You'll need to research this a little more.

ft