how to get another license code if I need to install my windows on bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I am going to try & set up windows 7 pro on my macbook pro i7 2010 with parallels, & realize I will use my Microsoft product code, is there anyway or how I could get another product key or code if I wanted to install windows again with bootcamp? can this be done?

I ask because, I have read that running windows through boot camp gets all of the macs resources. But I also like being able to switch between ,mac os x & windows without reboot.

I figure I may just go ahead & use parallels, & if I find I need more power, I might upgrade my ram from 4 to 8gb later on down the road.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's the retail version of Windows 7, the serial should work several times. If not, just call MS and tell them that you're reinstalling it and they should give you a new license or add one license to your serial

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I believe that only the professional, ultimate, and enterprise allow the same key to be used for native and emulated windows. The home edition is licensed only for one or the other. However, if you call, they'll probably let you use the same key for both uses.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IIRC something like that was true for Vista. Home had different VM clauses (don't) than Pro (OK).

In 7 both retail versions Home Premium and Professional share exactly the same language w.r.t. virtalization. OEM of course may be different.

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

As long as they are on the same machine, the worst case is that you call Microsoft and tell them that you can usually activate fine.

B