How To Get Apple To Replace A Bad Notebook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zdobson, Jun 20, 2012.

1. zdobson macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP15 (early 2011) last July and it sucks. Runs hot, freezes, won't wake from sleep, etc. Geniuses didn't find anything. Called Apple and went through 4 levels of support and best I could get was offering a discount on a new machine or sending the old one in for more extensive testing.

I'm past trying to find fixes. I want to know how to get Apple to replace the machine. I'm not trying to get a new model. I just want a new version of the same machine. Any advice on how to make this happen?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unless the machine is completely unresponsive, they know whether it freezes.

I suspect you are just BSing to try to get a new computer.

Btw, when they replace, they replace with the SAME computer.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does your state have a lemon law? Look it up but it applies only to actual times it has been in for actual repairs not some hair-brained set of issues that no one can reproduce when you get it to the store.

4. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if my OP wasn't clear. I want them to replace it with the EXACT SAME machine as what I have. I'm not trying to get an upgrade here. I want an early 2011 2.2 quad core w/ 4GB RAM, a 500GB 7200RPM drive and a high-res, anti-glare display.

Since I bought this computer it has...
    - overheated and locked up while only playing a slideshow
    - refused to wake from sleep and required manual restart multiple times
    - one time went to sleep and wouldn't even restart manually (took it into store)

And doing basic photo editing in Lightroom, it's significantly slower than my 2008 Mac Pro, which, according to benchmarks, should be the slower machine.

Can we answer questions with actual responses and not accusations and insults? Haven't you ever bought a product that just wasn't quite right? Haven't you taken your car to the mechanic when it's being funky only to have them say they couldn't replicate the issue? All I want is what I paid for: a top-of-the-line (in 2011) computer.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Have you tried reinstalling OS X? Or doing any other troubleshooting yourself?

6. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I've done it and so has Apple Genius. Not seeing improvement.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

From reading prior posts on here, Apple seems to be open to replacing Macs after three major repair incidents.

It doesn't sound like yours has a reproducible problem. :(

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It sounds like you have a bad hard drive. Did the Genius do any Disk Utility first aid like verify disk/disk permissions? Verify your disk and see the results.

You also may want to try the hardware test:

OS X Lion: Use Apple Hardware Test - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4510

9. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    When it comes to Macs, if Apple does a replacement, they actually replace with a new, current model that is equivalent to yours. I have never heard of them replacing with a refurb or same model as the defective one, even if that's what you request.

Since your Mac hasn't been diagnosed with anything, I can't see them replacing it.

The only things I can think of:

• Contact Apple and see if a product engineer will look at your console logs, sometimes an Apple advisor will capture information from your machine that downloads the console info to see if they can find what's causing the freezing.
    • As someone else said, run the Apple hardware test, especially right after the machine has been overheating.
    • See if the Apple Store will run their own test (I'm not sure what they use, maybe something in house or maybe TechTool Pro, etc).
    • You could take their suggestion and send it in for testing. The risk is that they won't find it and will send it back in the same condition.
    • Also, you can call Apple's executive customer relations. Call 408 996 1010 and ask for Executive Customer Relations (not service). They are usually pretty generous with the support they offer if you explain what's going on and at the least might be able to expedite the process for having your machine tested if you send it in, but from what I know, their internal guidelines are to replace after three attempted repairs or if there are other extenuating circumstances, or if the machine was purchased more recently.

Sorry it's not working well for you.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Oh that's right. Was thinking of iOS.

For Macs it's reproducible problem -> hardware repairs
    multiple hardware repairs -> replacement with new (this is difficult to get)

How come you cannot reproduce the problem if it happens "multiple times"?

11. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

I primarily use my desktop. I've been avoiding this machine bc it's been such a huge headache. I haven't tried to reproduce it for the 100th time. I feel like I've had enough problems already that I shouldn't have to jump through any more hoops.

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I'm not sure, to me they seem to be quite helpful in the stores if you go in and tell the truth and generally not be an *******.