How to get back iPhoto, iMovie, etc after HD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasilFawlty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just bought a MacBook Pro to replace my MacBook that died due to water spill. The MBP I bought was bought "new" but is an early 2011 version with a 320GB Hard Drive.

First I Made a Lion restore key on a thumb drive, then swapped the drive for a new Momentus Hybrid 500GB. The swap seems to have gone well. The new HD is working and now has Lion on it (it had been running SL when I had it in my older MB). But I realized that iPhoto and iMovie and all those "extra" programs that came with my MBP are no longer on there after the HD swap. Is there a way to get these to install on my new HD without having to re-purchase them?

(I think what this suite of programs is call is "iLife". Since no DVD came with my MBP, am I stuck or is there a way to install it on the new HD from the old one?

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

you should be able to download the ilife apps from the app store (that's what i did after replacing the drive on a new macbook pro)...

3. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Without having to pay for them? Does the App Store just recognize that I "own" iLife since it had been installed originally on my MBP?

4. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just tried that. The problem is, when I look at the iLife Apps (like iPhoto, Garage Band, etc) in the App store, it says "Installed" and the button does nothing.

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

odd, for me each app's button said 'install'.
    did you register you mac?

try calling apple...

6. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Well, I just figure out that I could put by original 320 HD in an enclosure and attach my original hard drive to my MBP. Then all I had to do was drag and drop the iLife apps from the old HD to the new HD Application folder.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

there's more to it than that; you'd need the receipts (so software update will 'see' that and offer you updates when available); garageband has a LOT of support files as well...

8. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Well, it must see that I own it because there was an iPhoto update and it did the update with no problem.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

hold option key then open app store, continue to hold option and click the "purchased" tab you should now be able to re-download things that say "installed"

10. NorthDakota91, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

NorthDakota91 macrumors member

Before opening the "purchased" tab in the app store try holding also the option key, then you should be able to install it

EDIT: probably it works only with the apps that have an installer (for instance, xcode and lion) but there's no harm in trying ;)

11. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Thanks - I finally did get it to work.

12. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

Glad it helped