How to get better movie playback on 2010 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bender o, May 14, 2011.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi guys,

Here's my question, I have a 13" 2010 MBP 2,4Ghz Core2Duo, 8Gb RAM and 500Gb 5400RPM Hard Drive.

I watch a lot of movies on it so I upgraded to 8Gb RAM thinking that was what was causing me problems and I also got a larger hard drive since I had mine almost at full capacity. I watch 720p DTS .mkv movies connected to a 32" Sony LCD with HDMI.

I get a lot of bumped frames specially when there's a lof of effects or movement on the camera, how can I improve my performance? I've used MPlayerX and VLC and nothing seems to stop that issue.

Will taking of my optical drive and installing a SSD on it work? Is there a better/cheaper way to get better movie playback?

Thanks in advance :D

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried Movist yet?
    I don't have problems playing back 720p or 1080p .mkv files on my 2007 iMac and 2009 MBP.

If you still have problems during playback:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

If that is still not bringing any answers, analyse one or three .mkv files with VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (4/2011, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) and post the reports.

3. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

I've never heard of it, I'll give it a try and if I still have issues I'll continue with that memory and cpu systems things you said.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Try Perian too. It's a set of plugins that enhance the playback formats read by QuickTime.

5. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

But that work only when I use QuickTime to reproduce the movies or with every player?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Right, it'll let you use QuickTime to playback anything. Also any program that uses QuickTime as a backend processor will benefit.

7. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

I'm gonna check it out too thanks :D

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

VLC. I've been using it for years and it plays everything I throw at it.

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Do the movies stutter when you play them on just the MBP without attaching it to the HDTV? Have you tried connecting the TV to your MBP with a VGA or DVI cable? I have a Samsung P2570HD and connecting it with an HDMI cable didn't work very well, but then I switched to a VGA and it's excellent.

10. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

Actually I haven't tried, but don't you lose the hi-def when using VGA?

11. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

No I get native 1080p resolution.