How to get by without a cell phone!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Ok, first off I realize this is somewhat * off subject, but I think I can bring it full circle. Here is my situation. In the last year I have had two jobs. Job A has a corporate cell phone plan that I paid 15 dollars a month for unlimited calling. When I quit job A they told me it would cost them $500 dollars to take me off the corporate cell plane. Our idea was that I would just mail them $15 dollars a month and they would just keep me on the plan for a while until they could get things sorted. So the last 8 months Ive been paying $15 dollars a month for unlimited called.

Heres the kicker. Today they called me and said that they had the $500 dollars sorted out and that I should go get my own plan and 'move on.' I must say, I'm not incredibly happy about that since $15 dollars a month for unlimited calles is just about as sweet of a deal as you can come by.

Nonetheless, I am now forced to enter contract hell with at&t since they are the only option around here. I thought for a while and realize that I could probably get by without a cell phone since I get about a call a day and I know have my ultra portable ipod touch that has wifi just about everywhere and people could just email me or text me and have it forward to my email address. <-- thats where it came full circle! :-D

When I lived overseas i paid literally 8 dollars for three months of calling time and when it ran out I went to the store, gave them another 100 RMB (china) and they gave me some odd amount of minutes that ended up lasting for about 3 months at my calling rate (text messages were only 2/5 a penny!!)

I used skype a ton overseas and now I throw myself at your mecy. People forgive the fact that this is TOTALLY not about hacking your ipod or your iphone (but it could be! :-D ), but I no one thus far has offered me a good solution

I guess my question would be, is it possible to set up some sort of system that would reduce my cost, accomplish the goal of getting 1 call a day on my cell phone that is dependant on the following things. Im sure some of you people out there have thought the same thing :)

What do you do??

I have the internet at home
    I have the internet at work
    I have a phone at the office (45 hours a week)
    My wife has a phone and a contract... aka ball and chain
    I can hear REALLY REALLY well, so yelling from long distances is an option

again, please forgive me

2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Get a prepaid phone for emergencies, use your work phone at work, use a VoIP service at home (with web-based voicemail etc), and merge them with GrandCentral (so you only have to give out one number for all three), then wait around for a Skype/VoIP option for the iPod touch you'll be able to afford with all of the savings over the course of a 24-month contract. :)

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Perfect. Ahahaha :D

4. trance728 macrumors member

im lost, how could the touch even be used as a phone if it has no mic input

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Can't a microphone interface through the universal connector? I use a microphone to record lectures wtih my Nano3 and my Video 5.5.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm yelling out the window that you have a good idea. Now run with it.

7. triela macrumors member

Heh, that's kinda funny.

When I bought my touch I thought I could remove the data package from my Verizon Moto Q, but Wi-Fi is not anywhere near prevalent enough for me to use the iPod as even a "sporadically dedicated" internet device. It turns out that everywhere I can access internet through the touch, lo and behold, there's a computer I can use instead. Imagine that. I couldn't find a compromise either, I just use the iPod and phone separately, but always carry both.

8. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

you dont use the ipod to record the sound file. u use the battery power to power a microphone that records the files and puts them on the ipod disk. or it may just record files and you have to take them off manualy. You cannot use an audio out port for a microphone with just software mods. sorry.

9. Dublo7 macrumors regular

I have a mobile phone but I only use it as an alarm.

I hate mobile phones.