how to get custom website icon for iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freeny, Jul 21, 2008.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ive been trying to get a custom iphone icon for my website. From googling I have found a few tutorials on creating the .png, renaming it "apple-touch-icon.png" and dropping it into the root folder of the site on the server where the site is hosted.

None of these seem to be working. Has the 2.0 update disabled this?
    Since I use .mac to host my site is there any thing special I am supposed to do?

Any suggestions.... :eek:

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I can't remember the name of the site, but there was somewhere that you could submit an icon to and the website and they would make it so you pointed it to their site with a code they supplied and it gave the icon on the iPhone and stuff. It worked pretty well. The simply used a redirect system. It came out with 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 whichever first supported adding websites to the home screen. But I'd have to dig to find it.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The steps haven't changed, and I can confirm that custom icons still work in iPhone 2.0. Make sure your PNG file is actually a PNG file (and not a renamed JPG or GIF), and make sure its resolution is either 58 x 58 or 158 x 158.

Look here for more:

http://allinthehead.com/retro/319/how-to-set-an-apple-touch-icon-for-any-site

4. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

png-8 or png-24 or does it matter?

Nope, still not working....
    I am trying this on an iphone if that matters and not a touch.

Ive tried putting it in different folders on the .mac server and notta.....

anyone able to do this on .mac?

5. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

no matter how many times I tried to enter the security code on webclips it says I have entered it wrong ??? Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yeah, I just tried it and it didn't work. Even tried i.e.7 thinking maybe it didn't like safari for windows, even turned off popup blockers. So I sent them an email to see what's up.

Clipalizer worked quite well, but had to use Photoshop to turn my jpg into a 57x57 png file.

7. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Create a 58px x 58px image (you can use a square image) and upload it to your server. Then place the following code into the <head> section of your document.

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://icon-image-link-goes-here"/>

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got an email back from webclip.us, supposedly something was up with the server and they said it is fixed now. I haven't tried it myself though.

9. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

the links provided did in fact put the custom icon on my iphone. unfortunately this is done only to my iphone and not others who will one day link to my website on their phone.

For some reason the 57x57png thing doesnt seem to work for me. I have tried just about every "root" folder possible with no luck.... hmph :(

10. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

You need to add the code I posted into the <head> of your webpages for it to work.

11. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Root, as in the main directory of your website -- the one you're looking in when you're at the top index page (e.g., www.yoursite.tld/[this directory]). In OS X client, it would be /Users/yourusername/Sites/. In OS X server, it's /Library/WebServer/Documents/{optional virtual site folder}/. In most *nix, it's /var/www/path-to-virtual-host/.

From http://vjarmy.com/archives/2008/01/howto_iphone_webclip_icons.php :