How to get Display Arrangement tab

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macready, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Macready macrumors newbie

I connected my mid-2009 MacBook Pro to my HDMI TV until recently by selecting it as a monitor screen in System Preferences' Display Arrangement tab. When the connection failed, I was no longer able to get the Arrangement tab. Acting on advice to zap the PRAM. I found I had to do so several times to bring back the Arrangement tab and re-establish the connection which has now failed once more. Despite zapping the PRAM repeatedly, I can no longer get the Arrangement tab. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

One shouldn't reset the PRAM very often. I'm not sure of the technical reason but I do recall that from training several years ago.

Have you tried pressing Command+F1, the shortcut to switch from mirrored to extended desktop? Typically thats the first thing I try when troubleshooting external display connections. Beyond that I'll power cycle the external display, disconnect/reconnect it and possibly power cycle the Mac. You might also attempt an SMC reset.

Resetting the System Management Controller - HT3964

3. Macready thread starter macrumors newbie

How to get Display Arrangement tab

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the Cmd+F1 and other function keys, the SMC reset and power recycling all without success.

QUOTE=Mr Rabbit;17794821]One shouldn't reset the PRAM very often. I'm not sure of the technical reason but I do recall that from training several years ago.

Have you tried pressing Command+F1, the shortcut to switch from mirrored to extended desktop? Typically thats the first thing I try when troubleshooting external display connections. Beyond that I'll power cycle the external display, disconnect/reconnect it and possibly power cycle the Mac. You might also attempt an SMC reset.

Resetting the System Management Controller - HT3964[/QUOTE]