How to get DVD into Itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gamerz, Oct 13, 2007.

1. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Hey guys,

It's now finally time that I get all of my dvd's into my itunes library, but somehow I can't. When I put the disc into my iMac, the dvd icon appears on my desktop, I open itunes, and try to click and drag it into my library, and of course it doesnt work.

Any help?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

1. Handbrake
    2. iSquint (optional)

Handbrake rips DVDs to movie files. The movies are of awesome quality, and can have chapter markers, but they are pretty big (~1.5GB).

iSquint rips them again, compressing them dramatically. Movies are around .5GB when completed. The downsides are the quality isn't as good, and you don't get chapter markers.

4. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

I downloaded handbrake, tried to change DVD to movie file to put into itunes and it only encoded 22 minutes of it. Any help?

5. hoffman99 macrumors member

hoffman99

Handbrake or Visualhub

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Handbrake and the same thing for Visualhub. Is there any difference between the two when copying commercial or noncommercial DVD's to your computer or Ipod? Or is there a personal preference between the to?

6. stagecustom macrumors regular

Visual hub can convert almost ANYTHING to ANYTHING! it's pretty impressive but you have to pay for it, on the other hand handbrake is damn good at what it does. Handbrake only does movie rips.
    so it really depends on what you want.

7. hoffman99 macrumors member

hoffman99

Good Burnning program

OK, Let's say I used Handbrake to rip a moive, what could I use to burn it to a disc? Would Mac the ripper work or what about Toast.

Visualhub is looking really good right now, is this program only for ripping?

8. stagecustom macrumors regular

use toast for burning, its great, what you can do is stick a dvd into your mac, and drag the Video TS folder from your dvd (no importing of any kind) and copy or burn it in toast.

go with visual hub, keep in mind converting does take some time, i have a 1.5 SOLO mac mini with 2GB of ram, and to convert 200 + tv shows it takes me about 4 days!

9. hoffman99 macrumors member

hoffman99

Good Advice

Thanks, the information it will be useful. Right now I just bought Elgato's Turbo 264 and I just need to figure out how to use it with Handbrake or whatever I decide.

10. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Handbreak will not work with turbo.264, nor will Visual Hub I believe. If I am not mistaken, you need to use Elgato's Program, Quicktime Pro Presets for turbo.264, or EyeTv.

11. Sheriftoma macrumors newbie

Visual Hub

I just bought Visual Hub and tried dragging the DVD that I want to convert into itunes into the visual hub. it allows me to do it but the conversion is not complete. Any ideas? How do I do that?

Thanks,
    Sherif

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Stop dragging the DVD - that's not going to work. Commercial DVDs are heavily copy protected.

You use Handbrake to turn the DVD into an iPod-ready video. Put the DVD in, open Handbrake and navigate to the DVD in the drop down window. Once it's finished scanning the various bits of footage on the DVD it will default to the longest title - the feature film.

Now you have to select "iPod High Rez" from the side bar, hit rip, walk away for a few hours and come back to a video file ready for tagging and adding to the iTunes library.

VisualHib is there to convert video files from one format to another say, AVI to ipod-ready .mp4.

There isn't a drag-and-drop DVD converter out there, you need something to circumvent the copy protection.

13. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    MacTheRipper + HandBrake is a good solution. Use MTR to rip and the HB to convert. Speeds up the process on my iMac G5 2.0 GHz by a few hours.