How to get FLV to work on iPod

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by evan g, Dec 25, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

Ok so I wanted to download a video (link) and put it on my ipod. I managed to get the .flv, but when i tossed it in iSquint, it said VIDEO_TS can't be converted directly or something like that. I'm relatively new to this, but I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You could probably use the newest version of Handbrake (0.9.3) to convert it to iPod format now.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Easiest way is to import it into iTunes as a .flv file and create an iPod/iPhone version. You can do this by clicking on advanced>create iPod/iPhone version. Here's a screenshot of how to do this:

Attached Files:

4. G.T. macrumors 6502a

How do you import .flv into itunes. Do you need a plugin, if so where do I get this.

5. l'homme macrumors member

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Personally, I don't like Perian, use MPEG Streamclip, here, it will convert the flv to mp4 (MPEG-4) which itunes can read, then follow my directions a few posts above to get it on your iPod. If it doesn't sync onto the iPod, make sure you have it selected in the movies box under the video tab of your iPod's "page" that pops up when you sync.

7. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I have perian for quicktime. How do I get it to work for itunes. I remember downloading a quicktime component for .ogg files that allowed itunes to play them because quicktime and itunes use similar coding or something (can't think of proper term).

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Use MPEG Streamclip, here, to convert it to MPEG-4 (.mp4) and add the .mp4 file to your library. Then follow my instructions to create a iPod/iPhone version.

From my understanding, Perian only allows you to view these different file formats, I haven't used Perian enough to be considered and expert of it but I don't think you can convert the formats with it. To test this, in Quicktime with Perian installed, go to file>export, choose the file format that you would like to try to convert it too. If if allows you to export then it works! I still think that MPEG Streamclip would be easier.;)

9. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Thanks but it really doesn't matter. I have software to convert I was just wondering if I could do the same with a quicktime component so itunes can actually play .flv like I did with .ogg files.

10. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Wow, sounds like people keep throwing around different solutions! I'll provide another, since I work with video all the time. But only solutions that work. :rolleyes:

If you have QuickTime Pro (which I'm assuming you don't have, so pop $50 on it if you can), then the easiest solution is to download Perian (which is a codec that decodes many formats), install it, and use QuickTime Pro to convert it. When you open the FLV file in QuickTime Pro, you should use the "Export To Web" option, allowing you to convert into small web files (such as iPhone/iPod Touch).

If you DON'T have QuickTime Pro, then I believe you can use MPEG Streamclip to convert files. I'm not sure if you can do it if you don't have QuickTime Pro, just because I've only used MPEG Streamclip with QuickTime Pro installed. BUT, you still need Perian installed, or else it won't read the file.
    MPEG Streamclip uses the QuickTime plugin to read/export files. So essentially, it is QuickTime wrapped inside another program.

There are other solutions (such as Sorenson, etc), but those are Pro applications that cost thousands, which you won't need. QuickTime Pro is the best and cheapest solution to converting ANY formats; iSquint is best for free and converting to web-based formats.

Perian is needed to read ANY FLV file period. There's no other solution in OS X, unless you build or use a flash player that will read the file. BUT, you won't be able to convert it if you use the flash-based player. :p

How do I know this? I do web development and video editing. So take my word for it. :D

::EDIT::

I do have a question though. How did you acquire the FLV file from that site? Did you use Safari, and grabbed the FLV file from the Activities window? Or did you use another program to use grab the FLV file? I'm wondering why you're getting a "VIDEO_TS" error. That only occurs if you're converting straight from a DVD.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

WOW, you really know your stuff. Lots of good solutions from fiercetiger224! I've had Perian installed on my machine for as long as I've been using MPEG Streamclip. I used to use Perian to do everything. I didn't know that MPEG Streamclip needs Perian to read some of the file formats such as Flash Video.
    BTW, MPEG Streamclip does convert files, but as I said, I've had Perian installed while running MPEG Streamclip, so I don't know if you need it (Perian) or not (at least to convert in MPEG Streamclip). As fiercetiger224 pointed out, you will still need Perian to view it.

12. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you need Perian to read and convert the file into other formats, just not the other way around. If you want to convert from another format into FLV files, you need Adobe's Flash Video Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze, or another alternative.

MPEG Streamclip is just QuickTime with fun/special features for MPEG files. It'll correct any problems with MPEG files (such as timecode breaks). Other than that, it's not much else. It's specialized for MPEG files in general, hence the MPEG used in the name. ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can use iSquint to convert your files. Just need to know how you grabbed your file!

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    wow, these are all nice options to keep in mind for use w/ my 2g iPod Tough 32gb. So long story short, an iPod Touch can't play a .flv file that's been put on there, but once it has been converted, then you're good?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I had a similar question with a non-apple product if anyone would like to chime in. The other day I was using.. I think it was mobitubia?.. some app for my wife's N82 and it let me download videos off of YouTube to her phone as a .flv file. I didn't have anything on the phone to play the actual video with though. Anyone familiar with Nokias and have a suggestion?

14. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yes, it has to be converted to a .mov file or .mp4 file though and imported into iTunes. You will have to follow my steps up at the third post to create an iPod/iPhone version if you did not export out of iMovie using the Mobile preset.

Regards,
    David

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks David

16. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Just glad I could help you and any others who read this thread.:)

David

17. nick83 macrumors newbie

I just downloaded MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b2 and from the few .flv videos that I've converted so far, it seems to give much better results than QT Pro.
    When I converted with QT Pro, it produced a far inferior version from the original with a lot of graininess. MPEG Streamclip is very easy to use and the Mp4 looks exactly like the original .flv

18. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

what's the best way to get .flv files from sites?

19. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

If you use Perian with quicktime pro you can open the .flv then export to quicktime movie etc or just click save and it will say something about reference movie or something then drag it into itunes then do the advanced click ipod or iphone thingy.