How to get free internet from iPhone4s?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by qpixo, Jun 3, 2012.

1. qpixo macrumors member

Is there any freeware to get Free Internet Tethering from your iPhone4s to your iPad2s or your laptop in some situation that you might need it? Assuming iPhone had jailbroken.

I heard PdaNet and MyWi but it's not free.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Not free, pay for your apps

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

PDAnet is free for situations to where you don't have to have a secure connection when signing into websites. Otherwise there is a small fee, but it pays for itself within one billing cycle compared to what the carriers charge you for tethering.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tetherme is the cheapest I think. And well worth the money.

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

Tetherme been freezing on data packets with my 4s and iOS 5.1.1 so I went back to mywi 5.5.1 which works well now with the iOS 5.1.1

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

tetherme has been great for me.

7. LoloBond macrumors 6502

MyWi Dev is out of his mind with price IMO, its a nice app but $20 its a little too much.

you should check which version you have, I have the latest and it works fine.. I haven't use it from more than 30 min thought.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just using MyWi one time will pay for itself since a add-on tethering package will cost that much each month.

9. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Compared to the alternative (monthly hotspot from ATT) and what the app does, it's a bargain.

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. Simple solution.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is what I was trying to say.
    You just said it so much better ! :D

11. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Yes, but which of these apps has the lowest chance of alerting AT&T that you are hotspotting? I have the unlimited plan and do NOT want to loose it cause I get caught by AT&T.

12. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Since you've indicated you want a free app to do this in another thread, the issue is moot since you have to pay for any of the apps that advertise a stealth mode. Stay stock and you wont 'loose' your unlimited plan.

13. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I have the latest, it works for 1 mins and it freezed up. then I uninstalled it and got the mywi (I have paid for all three) and the new version works without a problem for the 30 mins I was online for.

14. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Does anybody, with the exception of Kodeman53, have any insight as to which hotspotting function is "AT&T proof"? Paid or unpaid.

15. rgctx macrumors regular

You wont get caught no matter what you use as long as you have a agent switcher on the laptop/computer your connecting from (must be iphone,useragent mode), the reason people get caught is because AT&T/etc will notice that you are accessing the internet on there network from a different browser, for instance when you connect to your mobile internet on your browser from your phone it should show something like,

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

If you are "tethering" using your laptop and it shows,

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.12011-10-16 20:23:00, its obvious your on a non-iphone device.

Thats how people get caught. The user-agent switcher will show some websites in "mobile" mode, however there is usually a link that says "View Full Site", as long as you stay in "iPhone mobile, user agent" mode then you are fine and they will think your on your iphone viewing content.

16. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

So what if I only use my iPhone as a hotspot to use my iPad 2? Will it still look like I am using my iPhone?

17. rgctx macrumors regular

It will show your using your iPad. If your JB im sure there is some tweak in cydia that will allow you to switch it to make it show as a iPhone browser, just search there.

I used to work for MetroPCS and this is how people would get caught, eventually they blocked all of the "browser agents" from using the hacked hotspots (done by rooting the phone), im not sure why AT&T hasnt done this. So now in order to use the hacked hotspot on MetroPCS you have to fool the server to think your on a android phone browser.

You pretty much install something like this on your iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSA0__ye6oc) then switch it to iPhone in the settings.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

None.
    People get warnings by using any tethering hack out there. Nothing is full proof and if AT&T looks into your data usage they can tell.
    The idea is to stay low and dont tether huge amounts of data on unlimited plans. And again its a risk if you choose to do it.

The above is your theory but I highly doubt all they rely on detecting unofficial tethering is just the user agent switcher as mobile or the browser used.
    Wish it was that simple but if they want all they gotta do is look at your usage and that one thing is not the only part that will give it away.

19. Carpe Discus macrumors newbie

Well, I've never tethered, but I very frequently switch my user agent to a desktop browser (using iCab on the 4S). Verizon has yet to care.

I'm only one user, and it doesn't mean they're not looking for this (and I imagine there are more reliable ways to check), but there's my data point.

20. zammboss macrumors newbie

21. rgctx macrumors regular

So your saying if i use 30GB of data on my iphone unlimited data plan that means im tethering ? NO

Im not sure how At&t system is setup, but MetroPCS never went by usage,
    they go by detection methods, each time you are viewing a website using there mobile internet, the method of which you are viewing it is logged, if the system detects your on a non-android,etc device (whichever you own) the system will automatically block it.

They cant prove anything by viewing your data packets, you could be watching a streaming movie 24/7 for all they know.

----------

You are doing it within a iPhone built app.

22. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Simple and the best solution... tetherme its more than enough for me.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not what I said but if you do use 30GB then chances are they will look into your usage to see how and why you're using that much. If you're not tethering and just using lots of netflix, pandora, siriusxm or such then you're fine.
    If you are tethering to other external devices then they will be able to tell. And yes they can prove and see what you're using your data for and will give you a warning and then remove your unlimited data. Not sure what metropcs or any other carriers do or even if they care, Im just talking about AT&T and how they been behaving for a while now.

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is NOT what it was said at all!..... but if you use 30GB of data, your account is going to be flag for review, no doubt about it.

PCS system are not the same as GPRS or HSPA(+) systems which is what At&T uses

25. LoloBond macrumors 6502

If you have MyWi working stick with that, other than that, all I can recommend is a clean installation of IOS and re-jb... Tetherme its working fine on my phone... I got a replacement phone the same day 5.1.1 JB was released and setup the phone as new, JB installed my 6 tweaks and everything its working fine.