How to get full screen contact pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STEVESKI07, May 13, 2010.

1. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I got a replacement iPhone due to battery issues a couple weeks ago and ever since then my contacts pictures only come up very small in the top right corner of my screen if I receive a call. On my last phone, the contact picture took up the whole screen.

I did some research and it seems that this is caused from syncing your contacts and their pictures onto your phone instead of adding them from your phone manually. I assume that I synced them with my Gmail and them Gmail put them back onto my new phone and this is what messed them up.

Anybody know how I can remove all my contacts pictures and then re-sync them with Facebook? Or any other type of workaround?

2. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I think you only get full screen contact pictures if they were assigned from your Camera Roll.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I added my contact pics a long time ago on the iPhone and used Outlook when I had a PC to sync them. Since getting a Mac, I've been using Address Book. All my pics are large, so it's not the syncing that matters; it's where you added the pics (at least for those two programs). I added all my pics while on the iPhone. I'm not sure what gmail does to a pic, but you can either re-add them on the iPhone or try using Address Book or Outlook to sync with gmail and then sync from one of those two (I doubt this will work if gmail has lost the bigger pic somehow).

It's where you assigned them (in the iPhone). It has nothing to do with the camera roll.

4. STEVESKI07 thread starter macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think my issue is because Gmail only keeps a smaller version of the picture stored in the Contacts and they were synced there from my older iPhone. Therefore, I added the contacts pictures from facebook directly to my phone (big pictures) and then synced that to Gmail (where they shrink the size). Then I get a new phone and it pulled the pictures from Gmail (small pictures) instead of syncing with facebook and getting the pictures there.

I did a test where I manually deleted a contact picture from my phone and then synced with facebook again on my phone. Now it's a full screen picture again. Can anyone think of a better way then manually going in and deleting the picture attached to each contact? I don't care about having pictures of my contacts in my Gmail. Can I just delete all the pictures from there easily somehow?

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

There you go, that's it. I knew it was something along those lines.

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

im also in the midst setting up a new replacement phone. I use google exchange, and have the same headache you do. i dont think theres a way around it...

the only way ive been able to get full screen pictures back is to go into the contact app, and re-assign a photo thats (anywhere) on your phone to the contact. and yes if you happen to do it from the camera roll, and erase the picture the contact still keeps it.

another fun thing ive found, is that if you do this rapidly, start setting up your photos with contacts, and ringtones, in quick succession, the over the air sync gets jacked up, your entire address book dumps, reloads and you lose all the photo and ringtone assignments...a real hoot...

7. STEVESKI07 thread starter macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I ended up just going in manually and deleting my contact pictures on my phone. It took a little while but after my thumbs got in the routine it wasn't so bad. After that I fired up facebook and synced my contacts and it appears to have fixed my problem. I wish there was an easier way but it doesn't look like it. There should be an option to "Delete All Contact Pictures" somewhere. Oh well.